Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.03650°N / 121.44372°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3222 ft / 982 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Barlow Point
Eastern Side of Barlow Point


Barlow Point is a minor mountain summit located in the central Cascade Mountains of Washington State. Located near the midway point between Verlot and Darrington, one of many highpoints along Mountain Loop Highway, Barlow Point offers a scenic alpine viewpoint attained via a short drive and even shorter (1.2-mile) hike.
 
Barlow Point Summit
Summit of Barlow Point








Barlow Point first gained widespread recognition in 1935, when the U.S. Forest Service began construction of a summit trail and fire lookout. Positioned at the junction of the South Fork Stillaguamish and South Fork Sauk valleys, and containing far-reaching views, the peak was an ideal location for a fire lookout. However, the fire lookout was burned and destroyed during the “Buck Creek Fire” of 1965. Very few remnants of the past lookout are still at the summit.
 
Barlow Point Trail
Barlow Point Trail






The summit trail is also known as Barlow Point Trail #709. This trail begins at the site of the now-defunct Barlow Pass Guard Station (2361’ elevation), on the north side of the Mountain Loop Highway. On the other side of the highway is the entrance to the route leading to the old mining townsite of Monte Cristo. Two trails intersect with Barlow Point Trail. After hiking 1/4-mile, “Barlow Cut”, a section of the old Everett & Monte Cristo Railway grade, intersects the summit trail. Shortly thereafter, at the 0.3-mile point, Old Government Trail #733 intersects Barlow Point Trail. The Old Government Trail is a two-mile long trail that runs parallel to, and above, the old Everett & Monte Cristo Railway grade. This can be a pleasant alternate hike when visiting Barlow Point.
 
Big Four Mountain and Hall Peak
Big Four Mountain and Hall Peak




After passing the trail junction with the Old Government Trail, Barlow Point Trail begins switchbacking for 0.9 miles through a lowland forest to the summit area. Although the trail ends at a viewpoint location, a possibly higher summit (3222' elevation) location is found north of the trail-end but has no views. Despite its short height in relation to neighboring peaks, Barlow Point offers a unique location by overlooking two major river valleys from its summit. To the west, Big Four Mountain and Hall Peak are visible. To the north, Dickerman Mountain and Twin Peaks are visible. To the east, Sheep Mountain looms largely overhead. To the south, Silvertip Peak encompasses the landscape.

Barlow Pass and Barlow Point were each named in honor of John Q. Barlow, an engineer who surveyed the original Monte Cristo Railroad route. The peak name was made official after approval by the State Board of Geographic Names on September 13, 1985.

Getting There

From Verlot:

1) Drive east on Mountain Loop Highway for 19.4 miles (Barlow Pass).

2) Turn left up a very short driveway leading to the trailhead parking lot. Additional parking, if needed, is available across Mountain Loop Highway.

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is required for any vehicle parked at or near the trailhead for Barlow Point. A single-day Northwest Forest Pass costs $5, while an annual Northwest Forest Pass costs $30. Northwest Forest Passes can be purchased from ranger stations or REI stores (if not also other outdoor recreation stores) within Washington State.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
gimpilator

gimpilator - Oct 13, 2014 8:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Who is Captain Barlow?

My sources indicate that both Barlow Point and Barlow Pass were named for John Q. Barlow who discovered the pass and was the surveyor and engineer who determined the best path for a railroad line into Monte Cristo.

Redwic

Redwic - Oct 13, 2014 10:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Who is Captain Barlow?

I believe it is the same person. My original source only said Captain Barlow but that does not mean a Sea Captain or something similar, just an identifier for rank. I will change the page to reflect *why* Barlow Point and Barlow Pass were named in his honor. However, you are incorrect regarding the discovery of the pass. That distinction goes to F.M. Headlee, a prospector who discovered the pass sometime around 1891.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Oct 13, 2014 11:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Who is Captain Barlow?

If I am wrong, then my sources are also wrong. See for yourself. Quite a few sources cited there at the bottom of the text.

Redwic

Redwic - Oct 14, 2014 7:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Who is Captain Barlow?

A lot of stuff was happening in that area around the same timeframe. Plus, precise record-keeping was not the strong suit of that era. I will try to find a better source when I get time but for now try this link: http://www.hikingwithmybrother.com/2013/04/barlow-point-trail-709.html

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.