Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.33150°N / 120.9372°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4743 ft / 1446 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



From the summit


Teanaway Butte is one of the many summits of the Teanaway Region on the dry side of the Cascades. Though the summit is substantially smaller than that of higher northern neighbors such has Hawkins Mountain and Earl Peak Teanaway Butte is a worthy summit. The summit features amazing views of Mt. Stuart, the Enchantments, most of the higher Teanaway summits, and a a good day Mount Rainier. The reason for the special views on Teanaway Butte is because the mountain serves as one of the first summits of the Teanaway Region and is actually set apart from many of the other summits.

From the summit


In summer this summit is actually very easy to get to due to a boot path from Jungle Creek Road (as of 2/09 it is washed out). For the spring summer and fall this mountain can easily be done by novices and the YDS class 1, 1 mile; 1000 feet elevation gain should only take a couple of hours roundtrip.

From the summit


I recommend the winter for this mountain. Jungle Creek is closed to both cars and snowmobiles and the trip up in snowshoes make for pleasant 5 extra miles of conditioning and training. Also this is one the few (Hex, Sasse and Jolly are the others) summits that are attainable in a day. Also in winter this mountain can be combined with nearby Tarzan Butte making for a two in one summit trip.

Getting There

From via Route 970: Located between the town of Teanaway and Route 97 take Teanaway road north roughly ten miles to just past the 29 Pines camping area on your left. Once just past the 29 Pines camping area merge a left onto National Forest road 9701 and take it up (it will run along side of Jungle Creek) rougly three miles all the way to the end where you will see a trail sign. The boot path to Teanaway Butte will be on your left.

From via Route 970 in winter: Located between the town of Teanaway and Route 97 take Teanaway road north roughly ten miles to just past the 29 Pines camping area on your left. There will a turnaround where you will have to park on the left side road along with the snowmobilers

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Permit required in summer.

Camping

Camping is permitted just not in the parking area. If you want a more organized camping area check out 29 Pines before the forest roads.

External Links

Nwhikersnet gives you good trip reports on both Teanaway Butte and other peaks in the region

Weather Conditions

Here are what the weather conditions would be from nearby Cle Elum.



alt="Click for Cle Elum, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.