Mount Bartle Frere

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 17.38333°S / 145.81670°E
Additional Information Elevation: 5322 ft / 1622 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Bartle Frere is the highest peak in the state of Queensland, located in the center of Wooroonooran National Park in the coastal Bellenden-Ker Range. On a clear day this peak provides views of the Great Barrier Reef.

Trails and Trailheads

Bartle Frere 30Trail with markers
Trails are the only reasonable way to climb the peak in the dense rainforest. There are two trails to the summit, or rather one trail that crosses the Bellenden-Ker Range and passes over the summit. The summit is about 8 km (5 miles) from either trailhead.

Eastern end of trail – Josephine Falls
Josephine Falls is 75 km south of Cairns. Turn off the Bruce Highway (A1) 2 km south of Miriwinni near Babinda and drive 8 km to Josephine Falls. Access is by paved road and there is plenty of parking, restrooms, and drinking water. This is by far the easier trail to get to, but it involves a steeper climb and is more often closed due to trail damage by heavy summer rains.

Western end of trail – on the Atherton Tableland
The Atherton Tableland is 78 km south-south-west of Cairns. From Malanda follow the Malanda to Yungaburra road for 5.5 km and then turn onto the Topaz Road. Travel 2 km past Butchers Creek School then turn left onto a sign-posted gravel road to Lamins Hill Lookout. This road can be slippery when wet. Follow the signs to the end of Gourka Gourka Road (7 km), the boundary of the national park. Access beyond this point is by 4WD only. The road may be boggy when wet. Junction Camp, 2 km along the track, marks the start of the walking trail.
Bartle Frere 33Leach on log


Trail Conditions
The trails are well marked with orange paint and markers which are especially easy to see while hiking down. These are to help guide hikers in the event of heavy fog. The trail varies from mostly flat to very steep, and in places there are large stream crossings and fields of enormous boulders. Because this is a rainforest, hikers should also be prepard for heavy rain.

Leaches (resembling inch-worms) are a major problem in the wetter parts of the dense forest. They are very aggressive and will hunt for uncovered skin. They are numerous and have ways of getting on hikers, and their small size makes them hard to spot.

A round-trip to the summit of Mount Bartle Frere can be accomplished in one day from either trailhead by experienced, dedicated hikers getting an early start. See more details on the eastern route in this trip report.

Red Tape and Camping

Free optional hiking permits are available in boxes at the Josephine Falls trailhead. Backcountry camping requires a permit and a fee of $4.85 per person per night or $19.40 per family per night.
Bartle Frere 02Stream crossing
Bartle Frere 19View from near summit


There are a few established campsites along the trails. Big Rock Camp is 4 km from the Josephine Falls Trailhead at the junction of two creeks. The Eastern Summit Camp is next to a helipad and small evaculation hut 1 km east of the summit. On the western trail there is camp just west of the summit, but some people camp at the summit itself. The only other camp is at the head of the western trail. It would be difficult to find a suitable campsite elsewhere along the trails.

The trails are sometimes closed when flooding has damaged them. This is currently the case (February 2009).

External Links

Trail Map
Josephine Falls 1
Josephine Falls 2
Bartle Frere trail
Camping Information
Eastern Trail Trail Description
Western Trail Trip Report

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bellenden-Ker RangeMountains & Rocks