Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.82780°N / 104.9058°W
Additional Information County: El Paso
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8130 ft / 2478 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking south from the southeast summitLooking south from the southeast summit
07 Feb 2009


UN 8130 is a pleasant little mountain. Though small, it stands somewhat alone and isolated just west of the older western suburbs of Colorado Springs. Many visitors to the west side Section 16 unknowingly come within spitting distance of the summit of UN 8130 as the Palmer Trail gracefully arcs across a western saddle butting against UN 8130. (A “section” is a one square mile plot of land. Many states in the USA, including Colorado, have every 16th Section of land residing in state hands.) To those who continue onto the top of UN 8130, a peaceful summit plateau sporting twin high points awaits.

The two summit candidates are both obscured by trees from one another; that is, you cannot see one summit from the other due to timber. The northwest summit is the easier of the two to attain via a simple and short Class 3 scamper, but offers limited views. The southeast summit, where the Mike Garret register is placed, provides a short but more exciting Class 4 scramble to the top and affords fantastic views of the surrounding mountains and city. (From the summit plateau, wrap around the southeast summit from the east northeast for easiest rock. One or two easy moves with limited exposure and solid handholds (more like grips) put the hiker on the top of the southeast summit block.


Colorado Rank: 3,581st highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 350 feet
Mountain Range: Front Range
USGS Quad: Manitou Springs
Trails Illustrated Map: #137 (Pikes Peak, Cañon City)
Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

UN 8130 Location MapClick map image to enlarge



UN 8130 rises about five miles almost due-west of downtown Colorado Springs. Its proximity to the urban masses makes this a great after-work mountain or a fine objectives for visitors to the area who are either short on time or need a moderate acclimatization hike before tackling loftier mountains. Both primary trailheads are off of Gold Camp Road, which can be reached within minutes from either I-25 or Hwy 24.

Route Overview

RouteApproximate MileageApproximate Elevation GainSpecial NoteDriving Directions
Via Section 164 miles roundtrip1,500 ft.Pleasant but crowded route starting in Section 16.From Hwy 24, head south on 21st Street. Turn right on Gold Camp Road. Parking area on your right.
Hunters Run4.5 miles roundtrip1,300 ft.Starts in Bear Creek Canyon Park.Follow directions to Section 16 parking, but continue on Cold Camp Road another mile.

UN 8130 Route Overview MapClick map image to enlarge

Red Tape

While the bulk UN 8130 is sits within Section 16 (currently Colorado state land), the actual summit area of UN 8130 sits outside of this block, within private property. At the present time the property line is not marked by fences or signs, but be aware that in summiting UN 8130, the hiker is leaving behind public land for the uncertainties of a private landholding.

Camping & Lodging

The weakness on the southeast summitThe weakness on the southeast summit
07 Feb 2009

There is no camping available in Section 16, nor within Bear Creek Canyon Park.

Rustic car camping and backcountry camping can be found in the adjacent Pike National Forest. Be forewarned that the proximity of this area to the urban I-25 corridor means that crowding can be an issue, especially in the summer, and that unsavory characters are known to frequent this area. Be prepared for heavy ATV use, large crowds, drunkenness and casual firearms usage.

The nearest semi-developed US Forest Service campsites would be in the Rampart Reservoir area.

Meadow Ridge CampgroundThunder Ridge Campground
• 19 campsites
• 9,200 feet elevation
• Season: Generally early May through September
• $15 per night, per site
• Amenities include tables, fire grates, drinking water, latrines, and trash collection
• 21 campsites
• 9,200 feet elevation
• Season: Generally early May through September
• $15 per night, per site
• Amenities include tables, fire grates, drinking water, latrines, and trash collection


HOTELS

Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs lies at the foot of Ute Pass. This colorful, eclectic town offers a wide range of lodging options including old-style motor cottages and cabins, retro family-run motels, charming B&Bs and modern chain hotels. Shopping and dining are within walking distance of most Manitou lodging.

Colorado Springs
The hotel options in Colorado Springs are virtually limitless. If you are the 5-star luxury type, be sure to check out The Broadmoor.





Weather & Seasons

Due to relatively low altitude, UN 8130 is a reasonable year-round summit objective.

Winter: Typically, this would be a very pleasant hike, free from crowds, in the winter. Gold Camp Road is paved to the Section 16 parking area and should be passable except during the worst of blizzards.

Summer: In the summer, this is a very popular hiking area. Arrive early for a parking space and expect crowds, including unruly dogs and cranky children.