Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.68028°N / 106.29277°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13528 ft / 4123 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North Face
Boulder Mountain is the second peak from the left, north face

Boulder Mountain rises on the west side of Baldwin Creek Gulch across from the famous 14er Mt. Antero in the Sawatch Mountains of central Colorado. Except to the southwest where a ridgeline connects it to Mt. Mamma, Boulder Mountain is otherwise surrounded by valleys. Its western slopes go into the Deer Canyon and its northern slopes drop 4200 vertical feet to the bottom of Chalk Creek Valley.

Like Mt. Antero, Boulder Mountain has a rough 4WD road that climbs its slopes to above tree-line. Boulder Mountain Road branches off of the beginnings of Mt. Antero Road and ends at an abandoned mine at an elevation of 12850 ft. While the road is rough and potentially dangerous to drive (see “External Links” below), it can serve as a wonderful hiking trail. Unlike Mt. Antero, you are not very likely to see anyone else on Boulder Mountain.

Boulder Mountain can also be climbed from the south starting at the 12100 ft Baldwin Lake. For a high ridge-top experience, you could combine Boulder Mountain with the 13646 ft Mt. Mamma and the 13707 ft Grizzly Mountain (See Route for Grizzly Mountain).
Mt. Antero
Boulder Mtn. on left W/SW face, Mt. Antero on the right

Getting There

The trailhead for Boulder Mountain is the same as the trailhead for Mt. Antero.

From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Drive the road 12.2 miles until you see the sign for Baldwin Gulch/Mt. Antero Trailhead (the first 10 miles are paved and the rest is a smooth dirt road passable by any car)

Route (Boulder Mountain Road Hike)

Map
 


The information provided here focuses on hiking the Boulder Mountain Road. The road is very narrow and potentially dangerous to drive (see “External Links” below).

All distance are per my GPS.

Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
9420 ft
zero miles
Boulder Mtn. Rd.
10300 ft
1.3 miles
End of Rd.
12850 ft
5.0 miles
Boulder Mtn.
13528 ft
0.7 miles
Total
7.0 miles


At the trailhead, you will see a map that shows the 4WD roads of the area. Boulder Mountain Road is identified as Road 279. Hike up the steep and rocky Mt. Antero Road for roughly 1.3 miles until you see Road 279 on your right side.

Turn onto Road 279. The road is narrow and makes a long switchback going in a dense forest of pines.




Boulder Mountain Road
 
Boulder Mountain Road
 



After a while, you will reach a somewhat open area.




Open Area On Boulder Mountain Road
 
Open Area On Boulder Mountain Road
 
Open Area On Boulder Mountain Road
 



The road then begins a series of switchback going through a forest of small Aspen trees.




On Boulder Mountan Road
 
On Boulder Mountan Road
 



Higher up, Pine trees appear again.




On Boulder Mountan Road
 
On Boulder Mountan Road
 



You will then reach the tree-line at around 12300 ft.




Near Tree-line
 
The Road at Tree-line
 



The summit of Boulder Mountain (or the slopes just below the summit) come to view.
First View of the Summit
 

Along the way, you will have spectacular views of some of the nearby peaks.
Mt. Princeton
Mt. Princeton





Mt. Antero
Mt. Antero
Cronin Peak
Cronin Peak
Peaks 13317 ft & 13299 ft
Peaks 13317 ft & 13299 ft



The road continues with a few more switchbacks above the tree-line.
The Road Above Tree-line
 

At 12850 ft you will reach the end of the road and see the remains of an abandoned mine.
Abandoned Mine at the end of the Road 12850 ft
 

You can then hike up easy boulder covered slopes to reach the summit of Boulder Mountain.
Just Below the Summit
 

Views from the summit:






East/Antero
East/Mt. Antero
NE/Princeton
NE/Mt. Princeton
North
North
West/ Mt. Mamma
West/Mt. Mamma
SW/Grizzly Mountain
SW/Grizzly Mountain
S-SE/Tabeguache & Cronin
SE/Tabeguache & Cronin Peaks


Red Tape

No fees or permits for day hikes. For other regulations, see the site for San Isabel National Forest.
On Boulder Mountain Road
 

Weather

See the forecast for the nearby town of Buena Vista.

External Links

Four Wheel Driving on Boulder Mountain Road.