Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.82701°N / 119.36062°W
Additional Information County: Tuolumne
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11105 ft / 3385 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Southwest from Reymann Peak towards Little Yosemite Valley
Southwest from Reymann Peak
"Reymann Peak", (unnamed on topo) is an east-west running ridgeline peak in the Cathedral Range. The south slope rises directly above Reymann Lake which is tucked into a cirque at the head of Echo Creek. The summit is 1.4 miles south of Elizabeth Lake and about a mile southwest of Johnson Peak. It is composed of fresh white granite (way older than the pyramids), probably Johnson Granite Porphyry like nearby Johnson Peak which is known to be the youngest granite in Yosemite National Park. This is a class 2 day hike out of Tuolumne Meadows.
From the summit one enjoys unobstructed views southwest over the Echo Creek and Cathedral Fork drainages out towards Little Yosemite Valley and the Clark Range. There is an impressive view of the north face of Peak 11,357' to the south as well as the east face of the Matthes Crest to the west. To the north over Tuolumne Meadows the Sierra stretches in the distance as far as the peaks around Sonora Pass.
Over Lyell Canyon from the northeast to the southeast the Sierra crest runs from Mt. Dana to Mt. Lyell.

Getting There

 
North face of Peak 11,357  from Reymann Peak
North face of Peak 11,357' from Reymann Peak
West auto approach: From the junction at Crane Flat take Hwy. 120 39 miles (or 1 mile east from the Tuolumne Meadows visitor center) to the Tuolumne Meadows Campground at the east end of Tuolumne Meadows (across the road from Lembert Dome) and turn right.
East auto approach: From the junction of Hwy. 395 go west 12 miles (or 7 miles from Tioga Pass) and turn left on the campground road.

Go .1 mile and take a right. Go .25 mile to the 2nd left. Go .22 mile to the Elizabeth Lake trailhead at the roads end cul-de-sac (8,700'). Take the forested Elizabeth Lake Trail 2 1/4 miles south up to the meadow by Elizabeth Lake (9,487'). Break trail and hike 1.1 miles south up to the saddle just west of Reymann Peak. Follow the west ridge .4 mile east to the summit.
The north slope can also be scrambled directly up south-southeast from the meadow by Elizabeth Lake.
This peak can be combined with Johnson Peak which requires following the east ridge down from the summit along a reversed L shaped route to an open saddle and north up the south ridge of Johnson Peak to the summit at 1.15 miles.
The south slope looks to be a class 2 scramble 1/2 mile straight up from Reymann Lake.

Red Tape

 
Southeast from Reymann Peak
Southeast from Reymann Peak
Entrance into Yosemite National Park is 20 bucks per vehicle good for 7 days.

Camping

 
Matthes Crest from Reymann Peak
Matthes Crest east face from Reymann Peak
There is the Tuolumne Meadows Campground with a network of little roads around the trailhead area to Elizabeth Lake at approximately 8,600'.
There are also campgrounds just north of Tioga Pass outside the park boundaries by Tioga Lake (9,660'), up the road to Saddlebag Lake (10,000') and further along Hwy. 120 to Ellery Lake (9,500').
For info on other campgrounds along Hwy. 120 and camping in Yosemite National Park click here.

Current Yosemite National Park weather and 5 day forecast

 
North from Reymann Peak
Northwest from Reymann Peak with Elizabeth Lake below
For current weather and 5 day forecast click here.

Etymology

Reymann Lake Tuolumne Meadows 15'
Named for William M. Reymann (1883-1938), A Yosemite National Park ranger. (Bingaman, Guardians,115.) (YNP)
Place Names of the Sierra Nevada - Peter Browning