Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.81180°N / 119.124°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9278 ft / 2828 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Grant Lake and Mono Lake from Grant Point
Grant Lake and Mono Lake from Grant point
Like Windy Point in Kings Canyon, Grant Point is not a peak but an outstanding viewpoint in the June Lakes Eastern Sierra. It rises sharply 2,000' in a half mile above the south end of Grant Lake and has the name Grant written next to the elevation on the 7.5 minute USGS topo. This is a simple walk-up half day hike just off the Parker Lake Trail out of Silver Lake. It can be combined with a hike to Parker Lake. The views south over Silver Lake to San Joaquin Mountain and Carson Peak and north over Grant Lake to Mono Lake basin are worth the hike.

Getting There

 
June Lakes peaks from  Grant Point
June Lakes Sierra from Grant Point
 
June Lakes Sierra from Hwy 158
Grant Point, right, from June Lakes Loop
June Lakes Loop from the north: From the junction of Hwy. 120 just south of Lee Vining take Hwy. 395 south 4.5 miles to Hwy 158 (June Lakes Loop). Go right 8.5 miles to the campground at the north end of Silver Lake at 7,200'. Take the Parker Lake Trail going north up the lower east slope of Mt. Wood to the 9,000' saddle at 2.3 miles. Grant Point is a half mile walk up to the east.

June Lakes Loop from the south: From the junction with Hwy. 203 at Mammoth Lakes take Hwy. 395 north 15 miles to the south end of the June Lakes Loop (Hwy 158). Go left 7 miles through the town of June Lakes around to the campground at the north end of Silver Lake and follow the directions above.

Red Tape

 
North from Grant Point
North from Grant Point
This is a day hike in Inyo National Forest and no permits are required.

Camping

 
Carson Peak from the north
Carson Peak from the Parker Lake Trail
There are 2 National Forest campgrounds at the north end of Silver Lake at 7,200'.
There are also National Forest Campgrounds at the south end of June Lake and one at Gull Lake both at 7,600'.

June Lakes weather forecast

 
Over Reversed Peak to June Mtn. (ski slopes)
Over Reversed Peak to the June Mtn. ski slopes from Grant point
Click here for current weather and 5 day forecast.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sierra NevadaMountains & Rocks