Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.78422°N / 121.94055°W
Additional Information County: Pierce
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5475 ft / 1669 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Mount Rainier from Mount Beljica
Mount Rainier from the summit of Mount Beljica


Mount Beljica located southwest of the grand Mount Rainier is a moderately popular hiking destination. The summit is known for its commanding views of Mount Rainier, Mount Adams and Mount Saint Helens. In summer, usually mid-July or later this mountain becomes one of those bang for the buck kind of mountains. Provided the hiker has a vehicle that can handle a very rough road, the actual effort from the trailhead to the summit is 4 miles and 1400 feet of elevation gain. Many hiking enthusiast usually will try to introduce their children to hiking on this mountain due to the amazing views and the low amount of effort needing to summit this peak.

Fellow summitbaggers
Despite the rough road this peak has popularity


The name Mount Beljica got the name from each child of two families which climbed it in 1897. Their names were Burgon, Elizabeth, Lucy, Jessie, Isabel, Clara, and Alex (Special thanks to Eric Willhite for notin this in the summit log). Because of how unique the name is, the name has continued to stick throughout the years.

The summit rock and the exposed north face
Mount Beljica summit rock


That being said though Mount Beljica is a low effort summit and considered a walk up, some caution is needed on the exposed true summit. On three sides of the true lies a giant northern cliff which if a fall does happen it would most definitely be fatal. So if you choose to bring your family up to the true summit make sure that they use good judgment on the true summit. Another thing to note here is that if you choose to climb this mountain in summer be prepared for a large mosquito population especially on the shores of Lake Christine. Though Lake Christine would make for a great place to camp, I would hold off camping here until at least September when the bug population drops.

Lake Christine and Glacier View rocks
Lake Christine

The Most Popular Route up Mount Beljica

Map of the Route
Map of the route


The most direct route to this summit starts out at the Lake Christine trailhead. The trail then heads up to Lake Christine in alternating steep areas and gradual areas. Once the trail reaches Lake Christine the trail then traverses to the east of the lake and then heads toward Mount Beljica. From there head up as the trail steepens towards the summit on all intersection continue to veer to the left. From there continue up the trail as it continues to steepen to the top. You will reach the obvious summit with excellent three volcano views of the region. Total hike roundtrip 4 miles; and 1400 feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

FROM SEATTLE VIA THE LAKE CHRISTINE TRAILHEAD: Take Route 7 south from the Seattle-Tacoma Metro Area toward the town of Elbe. (When I was there, there was a detour that went through the town of Eatonville, that was well marked). In Elbe veer onto SR 706. Take 706 through Ashford and then 3.5 miles past Ashford. Make a left onto Forest Road 59. This road is not obvious to really pay attention as you get closer to that 3.5 mile mark. Take the very rough Road 59 north as it climb up the mountain. A high clearance vehicle is recommended for this section. Go roughly 4.3 miles up the road until you reach Forest service road 5920 which is on your right. It is also quiet rough. Take that all the way to the trailhead.

Red Tape

No offical red tape. However it is highly recommended that you have a high clearance vehicle for this highly bumpy road.

Camping

Camping here is plentiful. In fact I saw a good spot right by Lake Christine and a possible bivy spot just below the summit of Mount Beljica. This peak is though is just a short hike on its own and only requires 4 miles and 1400 feet of elevation gain.

External Links

Peakbagger page on Mount Beljica

WTA trip report on Mount Beljica

Another trip report on Mount Beljica

Mount Beljica Fall Trip Report

A child's trip report on Mount Beljica

An article in the Olympian about this mountain