Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.38640°N / 107.8661°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11123 ft / 3390 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North Mamm Peak is the highest point on Battlement Mesa. It rises about ten miles southwest of Rifle, and is located in the White River National Forest. North Mamm Peak itself is really nothing more than a steep rocky outcropping rising about 300’ above the surrounding terrain. Boulder fields encircle the peak. It has a prominence of 3,103’, and an isolation of 21.2 miles.

Getting There

From I-70 in Rifle, take Exit 90. Go south a short distance to the second roundabout. Exit the roundabout heading east on Airport Road. Head east about 2.5 miles to West Mamm Road and turn right. Zero your odometer here. Drive 5.8 miles to a T intersection and turn right. Continue heading southwest until you reach the turnoff for Forest Road 652 at about 10.4 miles. Turn right, and drive a quarter mile to the trailhead parking area. The elevation here is 7,820’. A passenger car can reach the trailhead. Trail 2160 begins here. County Road 317 approaches the peak from the north and ends at Tee Pee Park. This approach offers a shorter hike. However, there may be private land issues due to oil and gas development. The "official public access trailhead" is as described above.

Route - Tee Pee Park

See the attached Peakbagger.com page for North Mamm Peak. You will see two GPS tracks associated with this page. One is from Ken Jones, and shows the route from the public access trailhead. The other GPS track is from Eric Kassan, and shows the route from Road 317. Both routes are mostly Class 1, with some Class 2 or 3 scrambling at the top. You will likely have to negotiate some boulder fields surrounding the peak.

External Links

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=2328 http://peakery.com/north-mamm-peak/ http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=5690

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Clubbox42

Clubbox42 - May 8, 2017 8:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Prominence?

Peakbagger.com lists this peak as having 3,083 feet of clean prominence.

madbrook - Jul 5, 2017 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Private property

We did this hike 7/4/17. On the way back, we ran into a gentleman at the dirt berm on the road. He has a cabin right there, and he informed us that we were trespassing on his private property. He told us there is a trail to the east that goes around the level road described and avoids his private property. He allowed us to walk back the way we came, so we did not see or learn the trail. We would recommend investigating this alternate route prior to doing this hike.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2