Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.42674°N / 122.55266°W
Additional Information County: Clackamas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 740 ft / 226 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Foggy through the trees on Mount Talbert
Foggy through the trees on Mount Talbert

I envy the people who live in the Portland, Oregon area. In as little as a half day, with little worry with weather one can knock off 5 summits and enjoy beautiful nature and views. Mount Talbert is another such summit that one can really the nature without driving too far. Like many of the peaks in the region, the origins of this summit is from the Boring Lava Field which is home to at least 32 different cinder cone and shield volcanoes.

Typical trail shot on Mount Talbert
Typical trail shot on Mount Talbert

The peak located in Clackamas which is just south of Portland is home to a very well organized set of trails that travels through beautiful woods. In turns of true natural beauty and wilderness this peak and nature area is one of the best kept up. As for distant views there was only one area and unfortunately for me the views I had were covered in fog. It does look south and in the near future I will be back to this summit with BearQueen to pick off some good pictures. The foliage in this park is very special and pretty in its own right. I have gotten some of best forest pictures from this park.

Getting There

THE SOUTHERN TRAILHEAD: From I-205 get off of Exit 14 and head east on Sunnybrook Lane. Make the first major right on SE 97th Ave and take that for roughly 2 miles which will turn to Mather Road. Once you pass the Squire's Court Apartment/Condo Community there will be a trailhead on your left hand side.

THE NORTHERN TRAILHEAD: From I-205 get off of Exit 14 and head east on Sunnyside Road. Stay on the road for 2 miles and the trailhead will be on your right. If you hit a Safeway you went too far.

Route

Another Map of the Park
Map of the Park

There are multiple routes up Mount Talbert. We headed up from the Summers Lane Trailhead on the south side of the peak. The total loop hike for this peak is roughly 2 miles and 450 feet of elevation gain. It was pretty easy to follow and there were no difficult section. The good thing is that there is a map on all intersection that is set like a compass. There is also another loop from the north that is 2.6 miles and 450 of elevation gain that leave from Sunnybrook Lane.
Map of the Park
Another Map of the Park

 

Red Tape

Park is free however it is only open dawn to dusk.

When to Climb

This summit can be hiked and climbed at any time of the year. Snow is rare here and only on rare times will traction devices be required.

Camping

Camping is prohibited at this park. There are plenty of lodging and camping accommodations located in the southern Portland metro area.

External Links

Mount Talbert Nature Park Official Home Page

Trip Report of a hike located at Mount Talbert Nature Park

Mount Talbert Peakbagger Page





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.