Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.09940°N / 73.9311°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4926 ft / 1501 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The nearest 4000 peak to Mount Marcy, Skylight is the fourth highest peak in and as the name suggests is one of the best vantage points in the mountains. It is also the last mountain in the great range that has a maintained trail to the summit

The views of Marcy and the lakes below is superb as well, one has a good perspective of the lesser mountains lying to the south. It is claimed that from this peak one can make out over 30 of the other peaks in the area so it is considered to be the best lookout in the Adirondacks.

From the junction at four corners the trail to the top is an easy 1.6km walk first trough thick scrub and meadow and then over open ground along a cairn tail.

Be sure to carry a rock from the timberline up to the summit and place it on the rather large cairn pile on the top. Local legend states if you do not it will rain on your way out

Getting There

There are many ways to get to four corners one can approach from the south up and over Marcy, or the east from Ausable lake area or from the west up the feldspar trail.

A great extended day trip is to park at Adirondack Loj take the trail to Marcy Dam and then the trail to Mt. Colden and from lake Arnold head down to the Feldspar trail and then up to Four corners and then up Skylight. Return to the Loj by traversing Marcy and descending the standard Van Hoevenberg trail all the way back. This way one is going downhill for the entire homeward journey. About 22-25 km is the entire distance but 11k is all downhill.

Red Tape

No permits as of yet but one has to pay for parking at the Loj and make sure you sign in and out of the trail log. As well large groups 10+ will require a permit.

Due to high volume on the approach trails please tread softly and use a camp stove instead of firewood.

As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail.

When To Climb

Any time of year is good but winter offers a great ski tour starting from Calamity brook area and heading up trail 121.

Like all high peaks, be prepared for severe weather changes at any time of the year.

Camping

General rules for the Adirondacks

1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)

Mountain Conditions

some good links

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal

What's in a Name

As the name suggests the peak does stand out like a Skylight in the area and from the views from the top it earns its name.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Rob A

Rob A - Mar 3, 2005 12:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

camp fires are illegal in the eastern high peaks zone you MUST USE A CAMP STOVE. and soon bear canisters will be required in the eastern and western high peaks zones

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Great RangeMountains & Rocks
 
AdirondacksMountains & Rocks
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks