Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.95110°N / 70.4871°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4041 ft / 1232 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Horn And Saddleback Tarn
The Horn sits between Saddleback Mountain and Saddleback Junior on what is arguably one of the most beautiful ridge walks in the state. The 2 mile saddle between Saddleback and the Horn is above treeline and offers expansive views of the surrounding mountains. Also known as the Saddleback Horn, the Horn has a prominence of 470 feet. Despite its low elevation compared to western peaks, the summit of the Horn is a delicate alpine/sub-alpine environment with many plants similar to those found at ten thousand feet in the Rockies. The Horn rises 2000 feet from Rock Pond to the west and over 2400 feet from Redington River in the north and east. The venerable Appalachian Trail runs over the summit of the Horn.

En Route


One can reach the summit of the Horn most easily from the south via Saddleback Mountain. If you park in the parking lot of Saddleback Mountain Ski Resort, you can follow the a the ski runs up the mountain and pick up the AT near the summit of Saddleback and then hike 1.7 gorgeous miles along the saddle to The Horn. Alternatively, you can make it a 13.5 mile day by following the AT from US 4 (30 miles north of Farmington, ME). Again, you will come up Saddleback and across the saddle.
On the Saddle

Getting There

Route 4 Parking Area:
From Farmington, ME, go north approximately 30 miles on US 4 and park on the pullout on the right.

Saddleback Ski Area:
Keep going from Farmington. Make a right onto Beech Hill Road and then a quick left onto Sandy Road. Sandy Road becomes City Pond Road. Stay on City Pond for about 5.5 miles and then make a sharp right onto Saddle Back Ski Area Road. Park in the parking lot. Use the bathrooms inside if you have to go and then top off water bottles from the drinking fountains.

Red Tape

There is no red tape, no permits are necessary to climb the Horn. If you are attempting the Horn in the winter, be mindful of the ski area restrictions on uphill travel. If you are going to go up the runs, talk with ski patrol first. Be respectful of the fragile ecosystem above treeline: stay on the trail.

Camping

Poplar Ridge Site
There is no camping on the Horn, but the Piazza Rock campsite on Saddleback has a shelter available for a small fee during summer. There is also a site east of Saddleback Jr. near Poplar Ridge. The Poplar Ridge shelter is an official AT shelter, please give through hikers priority.

External Links

SummitPost Saddleback page

Saddleback Ski Area