Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.14950°N / 120.95546°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish/Chelan
Additional Information Elevation: 7420 ft / 2262 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview











Helmet Butte from Pass No Pass
Helmet Butte from Pass No Pass


Helmet Butte is a 7420' (1040' prom.) summit on the Cascade Crest, located one-half mile northeast of Buck Creek Pass, eight miles E/NE of Glacier Peak, and seven miles northwest of the old copper mining ghost town of Trinity. Also in the immediate vicinity are the massive bulks of Fortress, Chiwawa, and Buck Mountains.


Helmet Butte summit block from south summit
Helmet Butte summit block from south summit


While hopelessly outclassed by the aforementioned peaks in terms of elevation and prominence, Helmet Butte still has something to offer backpackers and peakbaggers alike. Easy scrambling routes offer the casual hiker stunning vistas without the level of commitment required by the higher peaks. For the more accomplished climber, Helmet Butte offers the chance to study the SW Face of Fortress Mountain, and makes an excellent '2fer' peak when approaching from Pass No Pass.


Helmet Butte from SE on Buck Creek Pass Trail
Helmet Butte from SE on Buck Creek Pass Trail


Regardless of the motivation for scrambling Helmet Butte, climbers of all experience levels will enjoy its meadowy slopes and well-defined summit block. Whether approaching from Pass No Pass or Buck Creek Pass, it is well worth the one or two hours required to round-trip this peak.
 

Getting There


There are several possibilities for approaching Helmet Butte, but by far the shortest and easiest approaches are from Trinity and the Buck Creek Pass Trail. This will be the only approach described in detail, and it will be assumed that those coming from other trailheads will have the requisite navigation skills to find Buck Creek Pass.

Follow US2 to Coles Corner, located about 20 miles east of Stevens Pass, and about 15 miles 'west' (mostly north, actually) of Leavenworth. Follow Highway 207 north from Coles Corner for 4.4 miles. Shortly after crossing the Wenatchee River, turn right onto the Chiwawa Loop Road. Follow Chiwawa Loop Road for 1.3 miles to the Chiwawa River Road. Turn left onto the Chiwawa River Road, and follow it to the Buck Creek Pass Trailhead at Trinity (effectively the end of the road) in 23 miles. The first 11 miles of the Chiwawa River Road will be paved, and the last 12 miles are gravel.  

Route


Helmet Butte route map
Helmet Butte route map. Route 1 in yellow, Route 2 in red.


From the trailhead at Trinity (elev. 2772'), hike the Buck Creek Pass Trail (FS#1513) for 8.8 miles, to a point approximately 0.8 miles from Buck Creek Pass. The trail is well maintained for hikers and stock, and has a relatively gentle grade. From here, you will have two options for approaching Helmet Butte.

Route Option 1: This route has a gentler grade, and is easier overall. It also positions you within easy striking distance of Fortress Mountain's SW Face. From the aforementioned point at 5600' on the Buck Creek Pass Trail (shown as Waypoint 86 on the route map), turn right, and follow a well-defined path towards Pass No Pass. At Waypoint 85, ignore spurs turning left and right, and continue straight uphill (the path will momentarily be poorly defined in this area). As you continue above 5800', the trail will split in several locations. Generally speaking, as long as you are heading uphill and north, any of these paths will get you where you need to go. Eventually, the paths will consolidate, and lead you to Pass No Pass (elev. 6380').


Pass No Pass on the way to Helmet Butte
Pass No Pass on the way to Helmet Butte


At Pass No Pass (or shortly before it), make a sharp left, and begin an uphill traverse toward the southwest. As you ascend, Helmet Butte's summit block will be plainly seen. For the easiest scramble, aim for the left (south) side of Helmet Butte's summit block.


Helmet Butte from east at 6800'
Helmet Butte from east at 6800'. Summit block is the point on the right.


Note: Helmet Butte can be scrambled from almost any direction. If you see something that looks more interesting and/or direct, and don't mind a little extra class 3, go for it.

At roughly 7200', you will pass through a small notch in the short ridge just southeast of Helmet Butte's summit. From this point, ascend straight up steep grassy slopes to the left (south) side of the summit block.


Summit block from the 7200' notch on Helmet Butte
Summit block from the 7200' notch on Helmet Butte


Looking back at the 7200' notch on Helmet Butte
Looking back at the 7200' notch on Helmet Butte. Our camp (just below Pass No Pass) can be seen through the notch at the base of the snow patch.


Upon arriving at the base of the summit block, make a short, clockwise traverse to the west, then the north side. From here, a simple, low-exposure class 3 scramble on good-quality rock will lead to the summit.


Final scramble on Helmet Butte
Final scramble on Helmet Butte


Route Option 2: Continue from Waypoint 86 another 0.8 miles up the main trail to Buck Creek Pass. From Buck Creek Pass, ascend very steep grass and heather slopes to the west side of Helmet Butte's summit block, then finish with the short class 3 scramble described above. Please note that this route would probably be somewhat dangerous in wet conditions. A very experienced climber friend told me it was the steepest grass slope she had ever climbed.


Buck Creek Pass from Helmet Butte
Buck Creek Pass from Helmet Butte


Views from Helmet Butte are spectacular. Unfortunately, my cheap camera did not play very well with the varying contrasts at sunrise, so I will apologize in advance for some of the photos to follow.

First light on Glacier Peak from Helmet Butte
First light on Glacier Peak from Helmet Butte

Buck, Berge, Cleator, Clark and Luahna from Helmet Butte
Buck, Berge, Cleator, Clark and Luahna from Helmet Butte

Fortress Mountain from Helmet Butte
Fortress Mountain from Helmet Butte

Helmet Butte pano
Helmet Butte pano


Red Tape


A Northwest Forest Pass is required at the Buck Creek Pass Trailhead, and probably any other trailhead you would use to access this area.

When to Climb


June through October would probably provide the best conditions - potentially May through November depending on snow cover.

Camping


Buck Creek Pass and Pass No Pass both have numerous camping sites. We found a flat spot about 100' below Pass No Pass that kept us out of a fairly stiff breeze.


Pass No Pass from Helmet Butte
Pass No Pass from Helmet Butte


Another interesting possibility would be to camp near the summit of Helmet Butte. There is a nice flat spot between the summit block and the false south summit that would be just about perfect for a two-man tent.


Helmet Butte south summit from true summit
Helmet Butte south summit from true summit