Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.47513°N / 122.00264°W
Additional Information County: Lewis
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3640 ft / 1109 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Huffaker Mountain is a low-elevation peak located in Lewis County, Washington. Densely forested and not very aesthetic, the mountain is probably most visited by local loggers and hunters. However, the summit is perhaps most important to peakbaggers seeking a mountain with high prominence.
Huffaker fr Pk 1648NORTH SIDE OF MOUNTAIN

Huffaker Mtn.SOUTHWEST SIDE OF MOUNTAIN

Huffaker Mountain is considered as a Napoleon, a peakbagging term for a peak with low stature but high prominence. Despite a low elevation of 3640'+, the mountain has at least 2320' of clean prominence. This makes Huffaker Mountain the 97th-most prominent peak in Washington.
HuffakerSOUTH SIDE OF MOUNTAIN

The peak has a false summit and a true summit. The false summit is consumed by thick forest and brush, and is at least 54' lower in elevation than the true summit. However, perhaps curiously, it is the false summit that has a USGS Benchmark located on it.
Huffaker Mountain Benchmark (WA)USGS BENCHMARK LOCATED AT FALSE SUMMIT

The true summit is an easy road walk to a semi-open summit area. From the true summit there are views to the south, including a partial view of Mount Saint Helens.

Driving Directions

FROM RANDLE, WA:


Drive south along Highway 131/Forest Road 25. The road soon splits; go straight/veer right to continue on Forest Road 25. Highway 131 and Forest Road 25 are both paved.
(NOTE: The road to the left is Forest Road 23.)

***There are two main driving options from Forest Road 25. OPTION #1 is shorter for overall distance but requires more driving on unpaved single-lane forest roads. OPTION #2 is longer for overall distance but requires less driving on an unpaved single-lane forest road and follows only a single forest road.***

OPTION #1:
1) After 2.3 miles along Forest Road 25, turn right onto Forest Road 2502.
2) After 2.5 miles along Forest Road 2502, turn right onto Forest Road 2505.
3) After 2.2 miles along Forest Road 2505, the road splits. Continue straight/left to continue along Forest Road 2505.
4) After 0.5 miles further, Forest Road 2505 takes a hard right turn. Continue following Forest Road 2505.
5) After 0.25 miles further, the road takes a hard left turn which goes steeply uphill. However, at the bottom of the hill Forest Road 2505 actually technically continues straight but is gated (~2900' elevation). Park at this road junction, making certain not to block the gate. For the remainder of the summit ascent, please see the "Hiking Directions" section shown below.
Huffaker Mtn MapROUTE MAP FOR OPTION #1


OPTION #2:
1) After 5.1 miles along Forest Road 25, turn right onto Forest Road 2505.
2) After 4.3 miles along Forest Road 2505, the road splits. Continue straight/left to continue along Forest Road 2505.
3) After 0.5 miles further, Forest Road 2505 takes a hard right turn. Continue following Forest Road 2505.
4) After 0.25 miles further, the road takes a hard left turn which goes steeply uphill. However, at the bottom of the hill Forest Road 2505 actually technically continues straight but is gated (~2900' elevation). Park at this road junction, making certain not to block the gate. For the remainder of the summit ascent, please see the "Hiking Directions" section shown below.
------------

Forest Road 2502 and Forest Road 2505 are each full of multiple potholes, most of which are large in size. However, at the time this page was created the roads should still be drivable by most street legal vehicles. High-clearance vehicles should have little-to-no difficulties.

Hiking Directions

FROM THE NATIONAL FOREST BOUNDARY GATE ALONG FOREST ROAD 2505:


Hike around the gate and continue west along Forest Road 2505. There are two options:

OPTION #1:
Follow Forest Road 2505 until it meets the summit road (~3425' elevation). Turn left onto the summit road, which heads east and uphill, then turns back west and uphill to the summit area (3640'+ elevation).
NOTE: Beyond the national forest boundary gate, Forest Road 2505 tends to be overgrown and/or have fallen logs covering the road in various sections. However, the summit road is fairly open and easy to walk along.
Huffaker MountainSUMMIT ROAD


OPTION #2:
Within a short distance beyond the national forest boundary gate along Forest Road 2505, turn left, off-road, and uphill where it appears to be most convenient to do so. The forests in this area are thick, but easy to traverse through; obstructive/annoying brush is (surprisingly) minimal. There might be some minor logs to walk around or over, but for the most part this off-road forest trek is open.

The summit road will likely be encountered between ~3400'-3450' elevation. Turn left onto the road and follow the road to the summit area (3640'+ elevation).
Huffaker MountainTRUE SUMMIT AREA

Red Tape

No passes or permits are required to visit Huffaker Mountain.

The approach roads (Road 2502, Road 2505) are single-lane dirt and gravel forest roads.

Although standard summit approaches use roads located in Gifford Pinchot National Forest along the east slopes of the mountain, the upper sections of the mountain are not located within the national forest. The summit road is gated at the national forest boundary, but currently no signs exist that prevent non-motorized visitors beyond the gate.

Camping

The nearest designated campground is Iron Creek Campground, located along Forest Road 25 near the Cispus River, only several miles south of Huffaker Mountain.

No camping is allowed beyond the gate/national forest boundary of the summit road. However, backcountry camping might be allowed east of the boundary gate within Gifford Pinchot National Forest on a "Leave No Trace" policy only. No campfires allowed.