Mt Arrowsmith - The Judges Route

Mt Arrowsmith - The Judges Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.22365°N / 124.59442°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Refer to the Mt Arrowsmith parent page.

Route Description

From the parking spot at km 13.3 on Pass Main walk a few metres back down the road and up the fourth logging road spur. It’s well flagged.

The spur road is getting progressively washed out but if you have a high slung 4x4 and don't mind beating it up a little, the spur can be driven to within ~100 metres of the trailhead. Park at the obvious BIG washout.


Pass Main Spur to the Judges RoutePass Main Spur to the Judges Route
Judges Route in MayJudges Route in May
Descending the Judges RouteDescending the Judges Route
Follow the well marked trail generally northeast to the summit steeply but with little real difficulty and only one or two bits of minor exposure. The trail is maintained only on a volunteer basis and consequently is becoming eroded in some of the higher, open sections as people choose their own route. Footing can be loose on the descent. This is the only route to the summit of Arrowsmith when a rope need not be carried – not to mention used – by most parties.

An ascent on snow in early season (April/May) or in winter will avoid the loose/scree sections. My vote on route quality above is based upon doing it on snow. On dirt it's down to 2 stars.

The route was named by one of the first ascensionists, Ralph Hutchinson, who was contemplating whether or not to accept a judgeship at the time.

Essential Gear

None in summer. Ice axe and crampons in winter and spring or whenever the route is under snow.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

tjholt - Sep 29, 2012 12:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Judges Route

I recommend hiking to the end of the 4th logging road spur and starting the trail at the end of the road. Shortly the trail divides. We took the left fork. Steep but reasonably good route. There is a much steeper and more eroded route taking off from some painted rocks at a gully lower on the road.

Bambi - Aug 22, 2014 8:19 am - Hasn't voted

Getting there

The logging road where you start the hike in to the trail now had a 2.7km painted on a rock. This road is just before where you park on the left (the parking spot is larger than just the roadside pullouts found all along the main logging road). There is also a branch in this road now ( looks new) and you must stay to the right (there is a cairn).

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.