Mt. Stanley Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Alpinist

Alpinist - May 4, 2010 1:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Mt Margherita closed

The ice cap on Mt Margherita has split creating a 20ft wide crevasse on the main climbing route. The route is closed now while a new route is being made.

Source

Tijs

Tijs - Apr 10, 2013 6:07 am - Voted 10/10

New Route on Margherita

I can confirm, having climbed Margherita last January, that a good new route has been established. There is now quite a long descending rock section between the Stanley Glacier and the Margherita Glacier. The (in)famous ladder is definitely no longer usable; despite previous makeshift elongations, its lowest step is now many meters above the glacier surface. There is still a lot of ice up there, much more than on Kili, but seeing this ladder ending in mid-air, meters above the glacier, makes you realize, that soon it will, sadly, all be gone.

I used a different and longer approach than the one described here. One day I may add some info on this route, the Kilembe Trail.

Katethekatelyn

Katethekatelyn - Mar 16, 2016 11:59 am - Hasn't voted

Uganda Wildlife Authority Changed

The link to Uganda wildlife authority website, http://www.uwa.or.ug is broken because they have a new website here, http://www.ugandawildlife.org/explore-our-parks/parks-by-name-a-z/rwenzori-mountains-national-park

RobSC

RobSC - Mar 17, 2016 9:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Uganda Wildlife Authority Changed

Thanks so much for letting me know! I have fixed the links.

achieveglobalsafaris - May 18, 2017 2:52 am - Hasn't voted

Access Uganda Tours 404 (Page doesnt exist)

The rwenzori mountaineering page on Access Uganda Tours doesnt exist anymore. please replace it with http://www.ugandarwandagorillatours.com/uganda/safari-parks/rwenzori-mountains-park.html. More detailed and knowledgeable.

RobSC

RobSC - May 18, 2017 7:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Access Uganda Tours 404 (Page doesnt exist)

Thanks for letting me know! I updated both this and the Rwenzori page.

Muhindo Geoffrey

Muhindo Geoffrey - Jul 21, 2022 1:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Guides and accommodation on the Central circuit route

Guide services and accommodation along the Central circuit route has greatly improved from 2015 to date with the increase in the number of East Africans interested in adventure tourism who use the route as it's more easier, shorter and affordable to them to experience the the Rwenzori ranges in a circuit around the ranges.
In 2021, UNDP donated trekking gear, first Aid equipment and stretchers and radio receivers to the guides and porters association operating along the Central circuit route. The Uganda Wildlife Authority has also embarked on expanding and improving the camps along the trail with Nyabitaba camp done and next works will be on Elena camp. The trail also currently have walkboards along the boggy sections towards John Maate hut, Bigo hut, Nyamuleju hut and Lake Bujuku.
I enjoyed two summits through the trail in July and December 2021 with a group of climbers organised by Bujuku Eco Tours each time and it was a great experience for the dry season and wet season in Uganda respectively.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Mt. Stanley' main page