Mt. Thielsen from the west...

Mt. Thielsen from the west...

Mt. Thielsen from the west makes a very imposing picture. taken on July 5, 2003
Dean
on Jul 6, 2003 12:52 pm
Image ID: 22547

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 18, 2008 10:55 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome picture !

I have seen it several times from this side; and ONLY this side! 'Mountaingazelle' told me that if you approach it from the northeast, it can be easily climbed ... just a scramble! Do you want eggs with that?
- Larry :)

Dean

Dean - Mar 18, 2008 12:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome picture !

Thanks Larry. It is equally imposing from the other side and it isn't a difficult climb at all. Trail half the way (up to the PCT) and then a trail with scrambling up to within the last 80 feet on the south side. From the northeast? Hmmmm. The last 80 feet from the southside is the easiest way and no worse than class 4 in a couple spots. This pic shows the route nicely.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Mar 18, 2008 1:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Awesome picture !

Hmmmm, I have no clue what Larry is talking about. I just took the regular route. The west side of the mountain that is seen in the photo is the route that almost everyone hikes up. The easiest way up the final part is on the south side as Dean says.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 18, 2008 2:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Awesome picture !

Okay, you got me! I made a mistake; I meant the SOUTHWEST. I realize that on Cascade volcanoes, the southern route is commonly the easiest. Now, I have to go out into the desert and eat my hat! Make sure I bring the salt and pepper shakers ... THANKS for the route information. You people are incredible. I really mean that. Take care, but PLEASE don't hide the salt & pepper. Cheers! :) ~ blushing ~

On the topo, there's a place to the north called Theilsen Camp. I wonder how many climbers actually climb the northern route?
Seems like it would be scary in a storm.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4