My 14-year-old son and...

My 14-year-old son and...

My 14-year-old son and 78-year-old father on the Monitor Ridge route in 1993, with Mt. Adams behind.
Bob Bolton
on Mar 23, 2002 8:47 am
Image ID: 5804

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 25, 2002 1:12 pm - Hasn't voted

mountaineering gene

Ah, I see the problematic mountaineering gene has affected your whole family, Bob............................

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Mar 25, 2002 7:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: mountaineering gene

Indeed Brian. Actually, my dad was not much of a mountaineer, but he very much enjoys hiking and backpacking. In his late 70s he put the finishing touches on a life quest to cover the entire Crest Trail in Washington. He has climbed all the volcanoes north of Mt. Jefferson. Dad's now 87 and still jogs 3 miles 3 days a week! But it was his brother who taught me mountaineering and from whom I acquired the gene. ;-) My son is now nearly 23 and he doesn't seem to have the gene. He smokes and is very overweight and doesn't take good care of himself at all. He still has great memories of a number of climbs and other trips. He climbed Stuart in 1990 at age 11. :-) I do wish he had stayed with it!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 26, 2002 1:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: mountaineering gene

There's always time for your son to get back into it, the mountains aren't going anywhere. (although they probably said that in May of 1980 also ; - ] )



I'm ashamed to admit it, but think it's great that your 87 year old father currently does as much if not more cardio per week than me. (although now I'm a little depressed and feeling fat)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3