Naled ice, Kara-Ayry Basin, Altay Mtns

Naled ice, Kara-Ayry Basin, Altay Mtns

The lower of the two areas of naled ice, or aufeiss, in the Left Fork Kara-Ayry Creek, Altay Mountains, Siberia. The picture taken on descent from Gagpi Pass, just North of the Main Range of Katun'skie Belki Range, on Day 6 of my March 1988 ski backpack.
Dmitry Pruss
on Oct 17, 2007 6:07 pm
Image Type(s): Skiing
Image ID: 348584

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Scott

Scott - Oct 17, 2007 6:43 pm - Voted 9/10

Climbing the Altay?

Have you climbed the peaks there? I've been a bit interested in the area. It looks really spectacular, especially Belukha.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 17, 2007 6:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Climbing the Altay?

I did a couple ski backpacks ... the winter is a spectacular season there, with the Mongolian High Pressure Area providing an almost-neverending sunshine.

If I have time I may post TRs and/or area overview ... the idea of earning 9/10s from you, after all the pain with the slides, doesn't inspire though LOL

Scott

Scott - Oct 17, 2007 7:18 pm - Voted 9/10

Re: Climbing the Altay?

Hey, I thought 9/10 means "Wow! Amazing", at least in the info box next to the voting box, hee hee.

PS, if you look I voted some of your other photos 10/10 at the same time. I have to distiguish the 9's for the 10's somehow or otherwise my vote won't mean much. LOL

Add those pages!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 17, 2007 7:27 pm - Hasn't voted

means "Wow! Amazing"

C'mon I had a "LOL" with my would-be whine too. it is not about the lack of score, it is about the lack of inspiration ... cuz I know that most of the ones I haven't posted yet wouldn't be any better than this one ;)

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 29, 2008 6:47 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Climbing the Altay?

To Scott and MOCKBA,
Your exchange above is a fine example of cultural differences. Thanks for posting, I find it really interesting (been working in the field of the English language quite a while). According to this American grading scale, I'd grade most of my own pics 6 to 7 (once an Irish friend called my mind Anglo-Saxon) but they've been awarded tens only, and since my quite new start here I've always followed this custom - just trying to adjust to the SP culture of today. I wonder what it was like in SP's childhood - I think it might make an interesting Forum thread.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 30, 2008 4:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Great brain-storming beer session

is where SP's current voting system was born. It was a fantastic idea which was supposed to account for both quality and number of votes, and to exclude rare malicious "outlier" votes.

But ... SP Founding Fathers made one enormous miscalculation. They thought that there will be a lot more votes than pictures. But most SPers like posting pictures, and not so much casting hundreds of votes.

It turns out that when a page gets only a handful of votes, the "beer session algorithm" penalizes it for any non-10 vote pretty much forever. Any vote other than 10 drags the rating down. Like this picture of mine - it's got 8 10's and one 9 and it's become rated one of the worst.

So most SPers only give 10s these days. And therefore the "beer session algorithm" stopped working even for the popular pages with dozens of votes. That's because it marks the few non-10 votes "outliers" and doesn't count them at all.

Bottom line, voting anything other than 10 would not make anyone happy, no matter what it says in SP FAQ :)

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 30, 2008 5:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

Thanks a lor for a comprehensive explanation. So as things stand, the ten-only rule surely has to be applied.
BTW I think some 9's may have come here by mistake, the squares are just so close. And as for your last statement - I'm afraid I can't agree - people differ from one another much more than they ever think (I've been studying, in my free time, the Pygmalion project, that is Keirsey's ideas - believe me:-) - just look at your exchange with Scott, or at those who (fortunately for us) never leave the city LOL

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 9, 2009 8:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

Hello Dmitry and Jacek:

IMHO - You two guys are the "comment kings"
of Summitpost. There should be awards given
to each one of you, for your humorous and
often informational comments left beneath
photos on SP.

And ... about the voting system. It appears
to be broken, and isn't going to be repaired
anytime soon. So, I'll stick with the 10's,
unless I see something terribly out-of-focus.

And THAT happens a lot when I drink beer
while voting on pictures; it impairs my
ability to make a proper judgement. : )))))

Thanks for your inspiration, gentlemen!

yatsek

yatsek - Feb 10, 2009 1:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

Hi Larry,
You probably mean "jesters" but comment kings sounds more PC so I gladly accept it. Thank you. I guess you must be the crimson king King Crimson sang about in the 1970s, a member of the red clan anyway. I'd be delighted to get the post of jester at the court of the RPK (Red Pix King). Although I love green, I was born with a red card (what's more, my bank account has long been in the red despite red rule being long gone here) and was never lucky enough to win a green card although I did try several times in the 1990s. Despite the differences in color, it's still no surprise we have similar voting habits as when I drink beer (and I surely do/will) while voting on pictures, it seems to sharpen my poor eyesight:)))
Cheers,
Jacek

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 10, 2009 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

I don't know how I ended up posting so many
red pix, but it was never meant to be
politically-motivated. It was just coincidence, I assure you. But, the moniker of "Red Pix King" sounds rather regal to me.

Can you recommend for me a good "red" beer???
: ))))

yatsek

yatsek - Feb 11, 2009 5:04 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

Sorry, Larry, I'm afraid all the good beer I know is GOLD in color (one of my favs is actually called "Golden Pheasant", which should - for obvious reasons - be kept far away from critters like, say, Red Fox) so I recommend that you stick to some red rum, OK?

yatsek

yatsek - Feb 16, 2009 5:44 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

To Larry,
Cheer up - some good news to you: I just came across this AFAIK ale, unlike lager, should be red(dish) in color (?)

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 16, 2009 12:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

Yes - but looks like a variety better suited
for the younger generation.

I once owned a RED mountain bike, but I gave
it away to a needy child here in Arizona.

But, I really do appreciate your concern!
Survival is something I'm very good at!!!

yatsek

yatsek - Feb 16, 2009 12:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great brain-storming beer session

I'm afraid I've had enough of much of the younger generation. My daughter had a red bike but it was stolen from the basement (may have been a needy child so we didn't mind anyway). Glad you're surviving:) but to prove yourself you'd have to come here and try to survive while watching the exchange rate hop like a carefree bunny.

Viewing: 1-14 of 14