NE Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.84670°N / 119.5092°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is a hidden gem you probably haven't heard about. It doesn't show up in any of the guidebooks. We "found" it by accident in traversing the ridgeline between Mt. Hoffmann and Tuolumne Peak. It can be reached most easily from May Lake. Hike to the west shore of the lake, then scramble 800ft up slabs to the saddle north of the Hoffmann plateau (the saddle is NE of Hoffmann's summit). The totals for the approach are 2 miles and 1500ft gain from the May Lake TH.

Route Description

The route follows the well-defined ridge south to the summit plateau, a total of about 500ft over a quarter mile. The ridge is composed of solid granite blocks with excellent holds, requiring a variety of climbing techniques from slabs to cracks, flakes, and a few chimneys. The route can be followed almost entirely on the ridge with only minor deviations to the left (east) to avoid class 5 difficulties. The route-finding is non-obvious in three or four places, but all could be done at class 4 or less.

The NE Face to the left is easier, but still class 3, and can be used as an alternative if the ridge proves more difficult than your liking. Once at the summit plateau it is an easy walk west to the highpoint.

Essential Gear

None needed. Rock shoes may provide additional security.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.