Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Antonio Giani

Antonio Giani - Oct 22, 2004 5:34 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Complimenti!!



Fantastica pagina.



Ciao Antonio

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Jun 21, 2006 6:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Eruption and background

Scott,

your sentence "Unfortunately, the disaster could have been much less catastrophic had the Colombia government heeded the warnings from American geologist." sounds a bit misleading to me, like ONE smart American desperately trying to warn the ignorant Columbians.

I do not know too much about the story either, but my (from GDR literature though, where the American geologist might not be mentioned) information is that actually the Columbian INGEOMINAS issued a report with clear warnings, along with the UN/UNDRO.

The political situation back then was far from ideal for managing such a situation - corruption, buroucracy and a constant struggle between ruling conservatives and opposition liberals.
At the same time the political situation was very tense in Columbia, with a hostage taking in the ministry of justice and a liberation attempt of the security forces that left many dead.

A volcano that a village threatens farmers (where to put poor farmers in a poor country?) was a minor concern back then - a common attitude towards natural hazards (I think we all noticed the tendency to put money into hazard areas AFTER something happened).

Do you have more information about the role of that American geologist? I do not doubt the he played a part, I want to know more about him.

BTW: Isn't the name Nevado DEL Ruiz?

Interesting country and an interesting peak anyways!

T.A.







Scott

Scott - Jun 21, 2006 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Eruption and background

sounds a bit misleading to me, like ONE smart American desperately trying to warn the ignorant Columbians.

More than one geologist. The info is from Savage Earth program that I have a copy of. If you ever get the chance to watch it, do.

Apparently a group of geologist even showed some of the government officials video footage of Mount St. Helens, but they were accused of devaluing properties.

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Jun 22, 2006 12:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Eruption and background

Hi!
OK, sounded like one (what is the plural of geologist?). Apparently different accounts on the happenings. In any case - mind if I use one or two of the Ruiz pics on the mountain disaster page? Want to tune that one a bit in the next weeks.

Cheers!
peter

Scott

Scott - Jun 22, 2006 1:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Eruption and background

That's fine if you want to use the pictures.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Nevado Del Ruiz' main page