Nopah Point Comments

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Great description and useful photos. The only point I might reword is the comment about Nopah Point being "unnamed on the map"--there's a benchmark "Nopah" on the 7.5'. I'm still not quite sure how these benchmarks tie in to place names, but they seem to pop up a lot in the desert. I can't remember ever seeing anything like this in the Sierra, though...
Posted Dec 20, 2005 2:49 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Hmm, I can't remember. I wish I knew more about how these benchmarks acquire a name, and why some of them (e.g. Towne Peak/Point) don't later become official USGS peak names.
Posted Dec 20, 2005 3:56 pm

MoapaPkRe: Untitled Comment

MoapaPk

The benchmark on the DPS highpoint (1949.9 m on the latest USGS map) has no name; I just checked my photos. I believe that benchmark just indicates a triangulation point. The PID for this benchmark seems to be FT1458, but that datasheet is not complete, which leads me to suspect that there was never a full elevation determination. The 1946T point to the north, labeled as "Nopah Peak" on the USGS map, has no benchmark*; the most recent map shows a spot check elevation, which may have been measured only by aerial photography, as this is a provisional map. An older DPS report suggests that "Nopah Peak" is lower, and the DPS register was moved to the present location some time ago.

Often names of PIDs are generated in a casual way, and may reflect just a range name, or even the area from which the survey began (e.g., Mummy Mt benchmark is labeled "deer"). The USGS database lists a "Nopah Peak" and gives coords.

* http://www.cohp.org/personal/desert_prominence_peaks.html
Posted Apr 3, 2006 10:07 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Nice page.

Are you coming to freeze fest.
Posted Dec 20, 2005 5:40 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Good post.

Posted Dec 20, 2005 9:33 pm

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Nice page!
Posted Dec 21, 2005 2:26 am

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

Great page, interesting mountain.
Posted Dec 21, 2005 10:31 am

MoapaPkPleasant place

MoapaPk

I enjoyed this hike, though the SE route was long. The views of Charleston from the eastern ridge are impressive, as both peaks are so high above the intervening valley.
Posted Apr 4, 2006 12:20 am