IntroductionThe mountains of central Italy are an ideal terrain for nordic ski touring: in Velino-Sirente group, in Monti Simbruini, in Abruzzo Lazio e Molise national park, in Gran Sasso and in Majella range, there are many high plateaus, long mild valleys, old woods and round-shaped mountains, often covered, in winter, by meters of snow.
To run over this terrain, the light-weight cross-country skis are better than the heavier alpine skis, so you can find, in this low-latitude mountains, many nordic skiers running along backcountry ski routes, far away from the ski resorts.
You can add to this album pictures of free-heel skiing (cross-country and telemark), in the backcountry: no ski slopes!
- Definition of nordic ski touring (from Wikipedia)
- The rec.skiing.backcountry newsgroup's FAQs
- Tips for nordic ski tourers from the site Girovagando in Trentino (in italian)
- Nordic ski touring gears and equipments tips, from the Cai of Milano website (in italian)
- An introduction to Nordic ski touring, from the Cai of Sassuolo website (in italian)