Normal-Montaña Blanca

Normal-Montaña Blanca

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.26910°N / 16.6338°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

El SombreroRoad

The normal way to climb the Teide begin in the little parking of Montaña Blanca (Km 40,3 of the road C-821 of the park) but the place it's very little. Many people rent a transport in agences or in the Parador for access to this point (the transport return to take you after the descent). Approximately 8-10 cars can be parked, not more. The alternative it's the great parking of cable car at 2.5 km (25 minutes walk for a narrow road with cars) or 1 hour of walk from the Parador (not advisable, you can to talk with the personnel for rent a transport, it's better).

Important: it's forbidden the climb for another route out of foodpath.

Route Description

Important: for reach the main summit you need a permit (read the red tape in the main page).
The first view of the final...Volcano's cone

Slope: 1400 meters. Time to the summit: 4h30min or 5 hours for a sportsman or sporstwoman (more for normal lazy people and less for a trained mountaineer)
The path it's identified with the signal of #7 in maps and itinerary and it's forbbiden leave the foodpath.

Trailhead: "La Pizarra", at point km 40,3 (2340 meters). We'll follow initially the bad road (track) of 4,7 km to Montaña Blanca (it's no admittance in car and in addition there's a barrier at a few of meters). The walk go in straight line up to a hut where they begin a few of curves that take us to the "huevos" (eggs) of the Teide.
The Huevos del Teide (2730m) are big balls of volcanic black stone formed for the addition of lava. After the eggs the path turn to left and finally in the crossroad we'll turn to the right side leaving the road (in the left side is the final of the road in Montaña Blanca).
Here we'll begin the real ascension in a hard slope with a path among the volcanic stones in zig-zag. This 500 meters of slope of this zig-zag are the hardest part of the climb. In the middle of the long ramp you can rest in a little vivac of stones, the called "Estancia de los ingleses" (english room) at 2977 meters. We'll follow the evident path to reach finally the refuge of Altavista. It's a good place for a little rest (3280m, 2h 30 min or 3h).
The foodpath to the summit of...Final cone

From here the path it's a little more narrow across the volcanic stones but it's short to reach the plain of "La Rambleta" at 3500 m. In the right side you can visit the little "Mirador de la Fortaleza" generally with a lot of tourist from this point to the cable car.
For the path of left side we'll reach the station of cable car in a few of minutes (3550 m, 4h or 4h 30min). A little of meters before the cable car you can see the chain and the rangers of the final path to the summit (you need a permit).

If still you got time in the wait for the hour of your permission, or after the decrease of the top, it is a good idea a small trek up to the Mirador de Pico Viejo where there is a great panoramic sight of the rest of the islands (15+15 minutes).

The final path of Telesforo Bravo (slope: 157 meters) to the summit it's a causeway of stone with stairs and a great experience, surronded with the sulphur smells and smokes, to reach the crater (3718 meters, 4h 30 min or 5 h).

The descent is for the same route or taking the cable car.
Alternative: you can to sleep in refuge of Altavista for reach the summit at the dawn.

Essential Gear

You don't forget the height of 3718 meters. Though in the base of the mountain it is hot and beech the sun you must to take in the rucksack clothes of coat (polar jacket, gloves...) besides solar protection, cap and sunglasses.

Miscellaneous Info

Horary of cable car: 9 to 16h (ascent). Last descent: 16:30h.
Price: 10 € to descent (20€ ascent + descent, not for mountaineers of course!!)



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

TeideRoutes