Normal route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.23650°N / 8.05510°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F (G2)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start this route from the Simplon Hospiz on the E62

Route Description


The normal route follows the W-face and the WSW-ridge and includes a 1200 m climb. It mainly involves walking and rock scrambling over steep scree and boulder slopes. Early in the season there can be snow on the upper ridge, which makes climbing easier. The view of the nearby Fletschhorn N-face, Wasenhorn, and the Berner Oberland is excellent.

First follow the path S of the Rotelsee and then ascend to the S to Holiecht over a grassy scree slope. From the flat shoulder cross below a power line and climb over the W-face over grassy scree and bare scree and boulder slopes directly to the WSW-ridge. Always stay S of the rock face of the “Platten von Ofeflue”. Join the WSW ridge at about 3000 m and climb further over this ridge to the W-summit (3187m), making use of the remains of snow fields whenever possible. The upper part of the route (from about 3000m) is marked by blue paint strokes.

Essential Gear


At the beginning of the season an ice-axe and crampons can be necessary on the upper part of the WSW-ridge.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.