Normal - South Ridge Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
7summits

7summits - Dec 25, 2007 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Variations up

Hi Corax, you are correct about Pico Vallecitos vs Vallecitos. The actual summit is higher, but quite difficult to climb, I did not do it.

Just came back from (pico) Vallecitos, with some additions: on teh way up, after Hoyada camp, the left variation of the trail is definitely better, you will not slip at all, the right variation is only for going down, through ankle deep sand, fun to come down :)

Also on the summit is now a cross with a small tube, where there should be a paper and a pen or pencil.

The last scramble can be tricky early in the season: I think I was the first of the season, the scrambling rocks were filled with snow and ice and that made it likely to hard for previous hikers, as the paper was empty and there was no trail through the snow.

Cheers, Harry

Corax

Corax - Dec 25, 2007 2:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Variations up

Long time Harry.
I added the info on the Vallecitos route page. Thanks.

davicaetano - Jun 12, 2022 6:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Actual summit through Mt Rincon

I went to this region in January of 2011 and I did first the lower summit of Vallecitos (with the cross) and some days after I did the traverse from Mt Rincon to Vallecitos, passing through the actual summit. I used crampon and ice axe, but didn't need rope or other gear.

Corax

Corax - Jun 13, 2022 12:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Actual summit through Mt Rincon

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.
Personally I wouldn't do that traverse without a rope and some gear. The margins are small, the rock is rotten and the potential falls on both sides of the ridge are very long.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Normal - South Ridge' main page