Normale

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.60320°N / 7.17290°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: EE+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Degioz village in Valsavarenche. The trailhead (footpath marked with "8") begins in Vers le Bois.

Route Description


From Degioz (Valsavarenche), cross paved bridge to Vers Le Bois (1.545 m.). Here is a terrible yellow panel for "Punta di Bioula, 3.414 m. 7h 30 min, trail "8c". Follow the confortable footpath n. 8 to Orvieille (2h 00min - 2.165 m.).

In Orvieille is located one of Park Guards' Houses. Last water available. Leave n. 8 path, turn right and cross a big meadow: follow the footpath n. 8c: it begins on the upper right corner of Orvieille's yard. In 30 minutes the "Clocheret" (2.354 m. - 2h 30min) will be reached. The "Clocheret" is a natural corner which divide Orvieille Comba with Bioula Valley.
Once passed the Clocheret, the path turn into Bioula Valley. Here the trail is steep and covered by slippery grass.

Once arrived at "Crou de Bioula" (2.715 m. - 3h 30 min) a very big boulder field must to be crossed. The old "Sentiero del Re" (King's trail) is located on the right, but today it's easier to follow the gnomes (little stone piles human made) which are on the left of boulder field. Unfortunately the over one-hundred years old King's trail, was distroyed by violent avalanches and tremendous landslides dropped from Punta Bianca di Bioula ridge.

Passed the big boulder field there is a snow-filled plateau. Just over this plan a very steep slope of dust ground is to be scrambled. Weak traces of old path are visible here.
Befor arriving at the little pass (2.905 m. - 4h 30min) which divide the ridge of Tour de Notre Dame, with the Fourquin de la Bioula, the path is visible again.

Arrived at this pass, forward on very steep traces (very difficult to be seen) in the direction of Tour de Notre Dame, instead of going ahead in the center of this third valley, then cross the third valley at halfway, always on the left, to reach a narrow steep stoned gully. Marching on the left of the valley, is easyer to find again the footpath which will be lost (for sure!!!) at the little pass on Fourquin de la Bioula ridge.

Once reached a plain boulder field at 3.205 m. over the narrow gully (5h 15 min, awesome sightseen on Grivola) there is the last boulder field to be crossed. Walk on the rightside: there are still some rare traces of King's trail. Getting closer to the final ridge and the tiny tooth of Punta di Bioula is visible, cross the last meters on right direction and, with very very easy climb (I), from NE side (3.414 m. - 6h 00min), summit is reached.

As for Emilius, Punta di Bioula is one of the highest summit on Central Valle d'Aosta. Great sightseen on all major mountains (Mont Blanc, Velan, Grand Combin, Matterhorn, Mont Rosa, Grivola - just in front of, Gran Paradiso, Galisia, Calabre and Tsanteleyna). This very hard hike is located completely in Gran Paradiso National Park: it is possible to meet a lot of wild animals, because of very few people decide to climb to Punta di Bioula. Too long, hard and lonely.

Please note that descent time is about 4h and 30 min. (on same path of ascent: no alternative route is possible), because a lot of attentions have to be paid crossing all the boulder fields again.

No hut, no shelters, no bivouac will be find here: head to Punta di Bioula only with good weather. Camping is strictly forbidden in Gran Paradiso National Park.

Essential Gear


Alpin clothes and boots.

Please, avoid tennis or low trek shoes here!!!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.