North approach over Westlicher Reiserferner glacier

North approach over Westlicher Reiserferner glacier

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.89830°N / 12.11880°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk over glacier and hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Magro / Magerstein is usually ascended from the village of Rein/Riva di Tures, 1596 m. From the parking space you reach the hut Hochallhütte / Rif. Roma (2276m). Then you reach the Monte magro / Magerstein over the north slopes. This route is described here.

Getting There

A self-made map of Schneebige...Map of the area.
You reach the Hochgallhuette, 2276m from Bachertal (Saege parking place, 1580m) in 2 hours.

Route Description

Monte Nevoso from the route to Monte Magro.View to Monte Nevoso.

From the hut you start ascending directly up to the small lake. You go by the lake and you follow the signposts for the marked route number 4. First you walk over the nice grassy slopes. On the right you have the steep east face of Tristennöckl (2465m). Soon the route turns to the SE direction and you come to the rocky sections. The route is well marked. It surrounds many big rocks and crosses some glacier brooks. The route is not soo steep. It becomes steeper when you must reach some old glacier moraines. Soon you reach the start of the north ridge of Monte Magro / Magerstein. You start ascending and higher you come to the crossing where one route goes to Antholzer Scharte (2814m), our route goes to the right in the direction of glacier. In very warm Winter it could happens that you won`t walk on glacier but over the rocks on the ridge. Soo over the rocks or glacier you reach the summit of Monte Magro / Magerstein. 3 hours from the hut.

You descend by the same route.

Essential Gear

Ice axe, crampons and rope for glacier.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.