North Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.36490°N / 106.5806°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Add Route Description text here.

Overview / Route Description

From the parking area described in the "getting there" section continue up the old mining road towards a stone hut that you can make out to the east of the parking area. About a mile from Baylor Canyon Road you'll reach the Topp Hut. The 4WD jeep trail continues another half mile in a northeast direction to the ruins of an old mine. Be extremely careful when exploring this area, as there are numerous open shafts and an abundance of rusting old mine equipment. From the mine area catch a use trail that continues NE towards a large canyon to the north. This use trail can be picked up at these coordintes: N 32° 22.068 W 106° 35.682. Follow this use trail about a half mile NE to a canyon. Follow the canyon floor (I found staying in the streambed to be the easiest) as it contours east then southeast and leads you into the canyon that separates the three rabbit ears from rabbit ears plateau.
On the way up Rabbit Ears PlateauA section of the canyon floor


A considerably amount of rock scrambling and boulder hopping is required during this section of the hike as the canyon leads to a saddle between the Rabbit Ears to the east and the Rabbit Ears Plateau to the west. The climbing should never get harder than third class though. From this high saddle climb west up the steep slope to the summit of the Rabbit Ears Plateau.
The east side of Rabbit Ears PlateauRabbit Ears Plateau from the high saddle

Getting There

The primary trailhead for ascending the Rabbit Ears Plateau is off of Baylor Canyon Road just east of Las Cruces, NM. To access this area take US 70 east out of town towards Alamogordo. Take the NASA Rd / Baylor Canyon exit that is the last highway exit before reaching San Augustin Pass. Head 3.9 miles south from the exit on US70. At this point you'll pass a cattle guard and see a primitive dirt road that heads toward the mountains. Pull off here, and decide how long you would like to punish your vehicle as you drive east towards the mountains. IMHO, it's best to park passenger cars and other lower clearance vehicles right off of Baylor Canyon Rd where there is some parking room.

Essential Gear

Typical desert hiking gear should suffice.

External Links

A Climbing Guide to the Organ Mountains

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

jspellberg - Dec 16, 2010 1:34 am - Hasn't voted

Route Description - Northwest Ravine

Following is a more detailed route description of this great route, which is definitely more of a climb than a hike. As a side-note, this peak is oddly named – it’s not a plateau, so much as a stubby, brush-covered rock-fin. Maybe it would be better named the “Rabbit Neck” or the “Rabbit Nose”? Also, for those wary of the rock scrambling and/or steepness of this route: no need to go all the way to the summit if you don’t want, since the approach up the stream-bed makes for a dramatic and exciting challenge in its own right! From the parking area near the Baylor-NASA Road, hike up the jeep road to the ruins of the old miners’ hut. About three-fourths of a mile past the hut, the jeep road forks. A cairn on the road’s left shoulder marks this junction. Take the left fork, which leads slightly downhill and into a small gully before ending at the rusty, old mine ruins. Note that you cannot see the mine ruins from the road, since they are hidden in this gully. The jeep road ends at the mine. From the mine ruins, a network of hiking trails leads up and left, onto the ridge flanking the north side of the gully. There are a number of deep mine shafts here. Sniff out the main hiking trail, which ascends the ridge, then makes a slightly ascending traverse north, across its crest. Beyond the “crest,” the ridge opens-up into a broad slope. Though narrow, and though constantly encroached by prickly brush, the trail is easy to follow; it is also dotted with cairns. Because it leads away from the Rabbit Ears peaks, this approach route seems counter-intuitive. In fact, you are traversing the broad slope with the aim of accessing the stream-bed that drains the steep, narrow ravine to the northwest of Rabbit Ears Plateau. Note that I am purposely using the term “ravine” here, and not “valley” or “canyon,” as I have seen in other route descriptions. To me, valleys and canyons separate mountain chains, ranges, or contiguous ridges – and are therefore much deeper and wider than this geological feature, which merely separates spur-ridges coming off of the same massif. After about three-fourths of a mile from the mine, the trail enters the narrow and rocky stream-bed. Cairns lead the way up, over, and through river talus and large, water-smoothed boulders. From this point on, a lot of rock scrambling is required. But the granite is solid, and the hand-over-hand climbing is never sustained. Also, if you take care to select the most logical line, the difficulty will not exceed Class 3. The presence of thorny cactus and yucca plants – which often cover what would otherwise be ideal hand- and foot-holds – does sometimes make the climbing more awkward. But scrambling and rock-hopping up this spectacular stream-bed is a lot of fun. Of course, it goes without saying that it could probably be very dangerous to be caught here during a thunderstorm. Follow the steep stream-bed as it climbs up into what seems like a never-ending ravine. After about 1,000 feet of vertical ascent, reach a narrow, prominent rock-fin, perhaps 60 feet tall, which splits the ravine into two branches. Although both branches may appear to be of equal difficulty, the right branch is probably the preferred route. Note that the cairns end at the base of the rock fin. You’re still about 600 vertical feet below the saddle separating the Rabbit Ears gendarmes from the Rabbit Ears Plateau at this point. Climb the right branch, which steepens as it ascends, requiring a bit more Class 3 scrambling over yet more boulders and rock-bands. Looking up, you’ll soon be able to see the tree-covered high saddle. Aim to the left of a very tall and obvious pine tree sticking-up just below the saddle. Once at the saddle, you’ll find a nice flat spot from where you can enjoy brilliant views of the Aguirre Springs hiking area and White Sands Missile Range to the east. Figure 90 minutes to three hours from the trailhead to the high saddle. From the saddle, it’s only about 200 vertical feet to the summit of Rabbit Ears Plateau, and there appear to be many possible ascent lines. The slope leading directly up, close to the east ridge-line, is relatively easy. But when you reach the summit plateau from this side, you may find thick and prickly brush separating you from the summit, which can take some time to negotiate. Another option is to climb the slope hugging the west ridge-line from the saddle – though slightly steeper and somewhat looser, this route is more direct, and seems to avoid the worst of the brush on the summit block. Either option will gain you the summit, which is obvious and marked by a wooden fence-post. Follow the ascent route down. When you get back to the lower stream-bed, take particular care to not miss the junction with the trail leading back to the mine. For some reason, cairns in the stream-bed continue for about 100 yards downstream, and past, this trail junction – thus making it very easy to miss.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.