North Country Trail - Lost Nation Game Area

North Country Trail - Lost Nation Game Area

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 41.86533°N / 84.53059°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 25, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

North Country Trail - Lost Nation State Game Area

For more information on the North Country Trail please visit http://northcountrytrail.org/
For a more in-depth look at this section of trail. View my blog and video about it at http://www.davidspassage.com

This is an outdoors gem in southern Michigan that is mostly utilized during deer hunting seasons. Otherwise it offers beautiful scenery for day hikers and people who just love the outdoors. Speaking of deer hunting, it is highly suggested that you wear bright orange in this place during deer hunting season as deer hunting is a religion in these parts and Lost Nations tends to be a deer hunting Mecca.

On my blog there is a video I posted that will give you an idea of what to expect if you should decide to hike this area some time. We started off at 41° 51.9216 N 84° 31.8357 W and proceeded on the NCT to 41° 49.6319 N 84° 28.4148 W. Following the NCT from these two points, the trail is only about 6.5 - 7 miles. This area is home to all kinds of wildlife and makes for a beautiful hike year round.

In this area, the St. Joseph of the Maumee River has its origins and eventually merges into the main branch of the Maumee River in Ohio. This, in turn, eventually empties into Lake Erie in Toledo, Ohio. In Lost Nations, the DNR annually stocks portions of it with brown trout and it was here that I caught my first trout although I would not recommend trying to fly fish here.

In another report, I read that a person had trouble crossing the river. To avoid this potential problem (and to stay dry), simply hike down Tripp Rd. an extra .1 miles and turn left at the next road/trail. This closed road/trail goes behind the gun range and meets back up with the NCT about .2 miles later.

From September through May, primitive camping permits can be obtained from a DNR office in Michigan if you really want to rough it in here some time. Winter camping in this area is amazing as you will undoubtedly experience blissful isolation from the civilized world without being too far from it.

Comments

No comments posted yet.