North-East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.79089°N / 11.49067°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The north-east ridge of Sulzspitze is the most accessible route to the summit of the mountain. Though there is a second route along the north ridge and a third through the east couloir this is the only route, where you can find more or less decent marks and paths. It starts at Grasstein , Le Cave in Eisacktal Valley, touches on Puntleider See and ascends more than 1500m.

Apart from difficult pathfinding the summit ridge is very exposed to its eastern side, while to the west it is a broad slope. All in all it is rather a challenge but not a difficult one.

Getting There

See the main page for the Getting there information. There is a small parking lot above the village of Grasstein, just from where on the road is closed.

Route Description

The Sulzspitze north ridgeSulzspitze / Cima Sulz as seen from north-west. The topmost of the route can
be seen here, the climb along the north crest

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 900m
      - Summit altitude: 2572m
      - Prevailing exposure: E
      - Type: 4h over sparsely marked paths
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 1570m elevation gain
  • Power: 2 - strenuous
  • Psyche: 2 - some exposure close to the summit
  • Orientation: 2 - very easy up to Puntleider See, afterwards a bit difficult

    From Grasstein follow trail No 14 in the direction of Puntleider See (E). The path follows a forest road for some time but often cuts short the longer switchbacks. It leads to Puntleider Alm, a pasture located at 1777m. Here it turns southward avoiding a crest which comes down from Tatschspitze. The path is level and after some 20min reaches Puntleider See, a lake located between two ribs of the crest between Tatschspitze and Sulzspitze.

    From the lake two marked trailslead either to Tatschspitze (14a) or Tagewaldhorn (14) the neighbours of Sulzspitze to the north and south resp. The Sulzspitze ascent on the other hand heads up the middle. Circle the lake on either side and head up a broad and sometimes chossy valley which heads north of the summit. On the left hand side you can see the summit of Schönjoch / Giogo Bello, which is passed, scrambling up the slopes to its north-western crest to a small col. (From this col a path leads down to Sulzenalm and down Puntleider Tal back to Grasstein, in case that you want to descend another way. Take care on that route as the first couple of 100m are very steep and chossy!)

    From the col a few more scrambling steps take you to the north-east ridge of Sulzspitze, which connects it with Schönjoch. To the east you encounter massive drops, while the actual ridge is rather broad itself. The higher up you come, the narrower and more exposed the ridge.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient. Trekking poles help a lot in climbing the scree fields.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.