North Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 69.43330°N / 20.05000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Walk\ski.
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, snow climb.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions to the 'getting there' section on the main page. Once in Furuflaten, and cozily parked next to a farmers field, hike up the valley to the east, then northeast. After hiking for about 5 kilometers, the valley turns to the east. From here, leave the valley floor, and begin trending through birch up over a steep rise to an open area above. It's important to not turn to soon, as cliffs and steeper slopes block the way. Continue ascending above treeline until reaching the 600meter mark.

Route Description


From above treeline the route should be clearly seen. The north face is more like a wide gully bordered by two low ridges that guard the more gentle north face from steeper terrain. Follw this broad gully to the summit. After summiting, rip the skins off your skis, and begin glorious turn after turn descending the entire North Face. The ski descent back to treeline is over 1000 meters of vertical relief, and is never more difficult than a black run at a ski resort, most of it falling into the blue category. Moderate and fun.

Essential Gear


Telemark or Randonee skis with skins, or an ice axe and good boots. Crampons only in late season icy conditions.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.