North Gullies Winter

North Gullies Winter

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 52.00000°N / 9.74273°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

With abundant snow, these are enjoyable Winter climbs. Ice axe and crampons essential. 

Getting There

Drive to Cronin's Yard, in Beaufort, outside Killarney. Hike up the main route towards the Devil's Ladder, taking the turn for O'Shea's Gully. Cross a couple of tricky rocky steps, with some exposure, to obtain the Lough Coumeenoughter corrie. Aim for O'Shea's way - the largest and most visible of the gullies, and when close to that, take a turn up into the first gully on the Left - this is Central gully. The next gully over, Left of Central Gully, is Curved. 

Route Description

For Central (Grade I), Approx. 200 m scramble to gain the summit ridge, and approx. 200m more takes you to the summit. The summit ridge from the top of Central Gully is quite steep and and narrow and can be tricky in winter conditions. Curved Gully (Grade I/II) is longer - maybe twice as long, steeper, and exits very close to the summit of Carauntoohil.  Caution is advised for both routes in winter conditions. 

Essential Gear

Map (Harveys McGillycuddys Reeks probably the best). Helmet, Crampons and Ice-axe for when there's considerable snow and ice. 

External Links

http://www.croninsyard.com/

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.