This route up Black Mountain is a much more rugged route. It is trail less along the North Ridge and there is a lot of big boulders one would have to scramble around at times to reach the summit. The NW ridge up the trail would be preferred by most.
1. From Las Vegas drive South on I-15.
2. Take exit 34 onto 215 East toward McCarran Airport.
3. Drive 5.7 Miles to the Eastern Ave. Exit (Exit 5)
4. Take Eastern Ave. South for approximately 3.0 miles
5. Merge left onto Anthem Pkwy for 2.4 miles
6. Take a left onto Atchley Dr.
7. Drive for 0.4 miles Atchley Dr. and then turn left onto
Shadow Canyon Dr.
8. Drive for 0.6 miles on Shadow Canyon Dr. Just past the 2200 Block
you will pass Lewiston Pl. on your left then after the 1st house you
will see a small parking area for about 6 vehicles. This is where
From the Parking area start Hiking South along the pavement. (Elevation 2982 feet). Hike for about 0.4 miles and you will see a little trail to your left. Turn left here. There are a bunch of boulders here. Hike about 0.2 miles and you will come to a road. Turn right at the road and follow it up hill as it curves around to the left toward Black Mountain. After about 0.8 miles total, you will come around the corner and see a wash below. At this point you will see the ridges of Black Mountain in front of you. Hike down into the wash and start hiking up the ridge to the summit.
Good Hiking Boots. Plenty of water, especially if hiking in the hot and dry summer months.
"Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish."