North Slopes/Lehra Saddle

North Slopes/Lehra Saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.02370°N / 51.94890°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

See "Getting There" on main page.

Route Description

Narrows 2Narrows
North Slopes 1Point 4090 m
Please refer to the Detailed Map of Central Alborz for the below discussion. Having the 1:50 000 map (See the “Maps” section of Introduction to Central Alborz) can add much more detail. You will need Sheet “6362 II Baladeh” for Sesang Peaks and Sheet “6462 III Nomar” for Nomar Village.


Place............Elevation(m).......Distance (Km)

Nomar Village....2150...............Zero
Lehra Saddle.....3650...............14.5
Base Camp........3470.................1.5
Sesang #1........4135................4

Total........................................20 Km



The village of Nomar is also known as Nomarostagh.


At the village of Nomar (2150 m), the stream splits. The W/NW branch goes up the slopes of the 3888 m Nazer Peak. The Southwestern branch is known as Daryook. A 4WD road follows the Daryook branch 3.5 Km to end at a place where a foot bridge crosses the stream. Hike or drive this road and then cross to the left (southeastern) side of the stream. Follow the trail less than 2 kilometers to reach a flat grassy plateau known as “Daryook Plain” (2350 m) where the stream makes many branches. The western branch is known as “Paniri” River and goes toward the Shekar Leghas Peak. You will need to follow the southern branch and will have to cross the branch to its west side. This can be done fairly easily but will get you wet above your knees.

Follow the well-established trail to a place called “Chehel Cheshmeh” (2800 m) where water pours down the side of the mountain onto the trail. At around 2950 m you will reach another relatively flat area. Kaoon Peak will be directly in front of you to the west and the Lehra Peaks will be visible as rocky summits to the south. Lehra Pass sits between the Kaoon and Lehra Peaks. Do not mistake the other saddle between Kaoon and Siyaroo Peaks for Lehra. Follow the trail to reach the 3650 m Lehra Saddle where Dokhaharan, Sesangs and their neighbors come into view. Identify the pointy Chapakro Peak to the east of Dokhaharan and the valley that separates this peak from the Sesang Peaks farther east. You will eventually need to go up this valley.

At the Lehra Saddle, you could descend a drainage south to reach the Sesang River but a better option is to head west and go through another saddle north of Point 3662 m and south of Kaoon Peak to reach another drainage that can be descended down to the banks of the Sesang River (3470 m). Set up your base camp at the junction of the stream that drains the valley between Chapakro & Sesang Peaks with Sesang River.

Head W/SW going up the valley that goes between the Chapakro and the Sesang Peaks. You will go through a short segment of narrows. You could follow the stream up to a 3990 m Saddle between Chapakro and Sesang #1 but doing so will take you to at least one very steep snowy area. A better option is veer left (south) and to start to go up the slopes of the Sesang Peaks between #1 and #2 to reach a 4090 m high point on the crest of the ridgeline and then follow the ridge-top to the summit of #1.

Essential Gear

In summer, only camping equipment.
Add External Links text here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.