Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.56050°N / 118.907°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive along Sherwin Creek Rd until 1.5 miles from US395 or 4.1 miles from Old Mammoth Rd, to the junction with Laurel Creek Trail. The trail is really an abandoned mining road, and with 4WD it can be driven for the next 4.5 miles as it ascends the east side of Laurel Creek. Be warned that the road is very loose in places. The road forks at the north base of Bloody Mtn. Park in one of the few pullout areas along the road. The right fork heads to Laurel Lakes and the North Couloir route. Hike up the left fork to the SE until you reach the broad saddle between Laurel Mtn and Bloody Mtn.

Route Description

This is possibly the easiest hike to one of the highest peaks in the Mammoth area. With 4WD, it can easily be hiked in half a day.

From the saddle (10,760ft) the cross-country route up the NE Ridge is obvious. Climb 1,800ft in a mile and half to the summit. There are numerous false summits along the way.

Essential Gear

None needed

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 20, 2015 7:24 pm - Hasn't voted

3 miles up the road?

I was playing around on Google Earth and it seems like three miles up the road doesn't get you very far. Seems closer to 4 1/2 miles to the fork. But then to get to the saddle between Laurel and Bloody it is about 4 miles to a trail that goes up towards the saddle, but it is 1/2 mile before the fork down to the lake. How bad is the road exactly? Can a standard SUV with 4WD make it to the fork?

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jul 22, 2015 7:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 3 miles up the road?

You're right, it's more like 4.5mi. I've corrected that. I drove it in a Suzuki Samurai and couldn't make it to the TH. One of the crappiest "roads" in the Sierra, imo. Granted, a Samurai is a sucky 4WD, so your beefier vehicle may do better.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.