Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A wonderful, high mountain scramble, with great views of the Needle Mountains.

Getting There

see the main West Needle Mountain page.

Route Description

From the unnamed lake at 11,740 directly east of Twilight Peak, climb to the 12,580-foot saddle SE of South Twilight Peak. Now you will finally have a view of West Needle Mountain. This slope will hold snow into July, so be prepared for some snow climbing. From this saddle, contour SE and then S, aiming for the NE ridge of West Needle Mountain. This is mostly on loose talus and scree when it is dry. Do not go all the way to the saddle of this ridge, but rather head up a small face that faces NW, and gain the ridge about 200 feet above the saddle. There is some Class 3 scrambling in here, and possibly more snow climbing, depending on the season. Once on the ridge, stay on it. As you near the top, there are a few obstacles that can be bypassed on the left, but there are some unavoidable Class 4 moves.

Essential Gear

Snow climbing gear, rock climbing gear, depending on your comfort level on Class 4 terrain.

External Links

Add External Links text here.


Geography
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.