Norway Lake Scramble

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.07000°N / 81.18°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The best way to get to Norway Lake is to bring a canoe or rent one from Killarney outfitters. From George Lake you will have 3 portages, one which can exceed 1km in the dry months. From George Lake canoe to Freeland and then through Killarney Lake and then onto Norway. The paddling will take between 3-6 hours depending on your level of expertise.
Starting from the northern side of Norway Lake simply head north trailblazing through the trees until you encounter the slope of the LaCloche ridge and then simply pick a route up through the rocks and the trees. Once on the ridge hike eastwards.

Route Description


I would suggest buying a map of the park if you want to try this route as it comes in very handy when trailblazing.
As mentioned in the previous section once you have gained the notheastern shore of Norway Lake make your way up onto the main ridge that adjoins the lake and from there take your bearings. The LaCloche ridge which climaxes at its eastern terminus with Silver Peak is directly in front of you. Picking a trail upwards is straightforward, it can be an easy walk up or a more challenging free climb in places... it all depends what you are loooking for.
One you have gained the main ridge move eastwards, you will gain 4 or 5 false summits before you reach SIlver Peak itself, descending down into valleys and then climbing back up to the false summit.
The summit is marked by a large erratic (boulder) and is unmistakably the highest point in the park.
The overall gain in altitude is about 350m or 1150 feet and the duration for the roundtrip should take about 4-6 hours.
The key to this route is making your way northeastwards up onto the main ridge... I would suggest that anyone trying this route take it very seriously as it is easy to get turned around in the valleys and get lost for hours if not days.

Essential Gear


The only gear necessary is a sturdy pair of hiking boots, a hiking stick or some poles are always useful to have along. Also pack some warm clothes as summer storms can come up very quickly and bring with them cold blasts of wind from the Great White North.
For those looking to have some fun free climbing a chalk bag would also be a good idea... there are plenty of fun places.
A compass and some real competence knowing how to read one are also necessary skills for this route... it can be done without, but...

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.