Notch Peak Comments

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Hey bro, major thumbs up for posting this obscure mountain. I can just see it, as I drove west from Great Basin NP. That distinctive monster still lingers in my mind. I actually asked what it was on some other climbing message boards. They didn't have much climbing beta, though.
Posted Apr 12, 2003 12:08 am

PellucidWombatUntitled Comment

PellucidWombat

Hey, thanks for the positive feedback! There's two things I really love about this mountain: Its sheer size and its obscurity. Paradoxically I just want to share it with others.

BTW, have you foudn out anything on climbing the peak? Some guide I've come across mention rock climbing in the range, but none specifically mention any rock climbing on the huge wall. Maybe because the rock isn't good for big wall climbing?
Posted Apr 12, 2003 12:46 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

I think the climbing is good--it's ancient quartzite, much like the huge northeast face of Wheeler Peak in Great Basin NP. The guy I talked to on the other message board had also not climbed the big face, but mentioned some shorter technical routes on the north side of the notch, I believe. It's tough to find info, but at least you'll always have the place to yourself!
Posted Apr 12, 2003 10:43 am

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

I think, you could add some links, book titles, phone numbers/addresses, where one could get more info.

Cheers, Rahel

Posted Apr 14, 2003 4:55 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Nice page. Great read.
Posted Apr 15, 2003 1:49 pm

rmjwintersUntitled Comment

rmjwinters

Nice job on the page. This peak has always been on one of my lists....just haven't gone that deep yet! I'll move it up a "notch" next time I head to Great Basin NP.
Posted Apr 18, 2003 9:19 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

One of the best peaks in the US!
Posted Sep 25, 2003 6:36 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Quite the mountain. I'm not surprised it's in Utah. I learned about this page from a message board thread Scott Patterson had started. Very impressive. Your page is well done (check for typos) and I hope to eventually see this mountain in person thanks to your work.
Posted Sep 29, 2003 9:48 pm

grandwazooUntitled Comment

grandwazoo

Have drove past this on route 50 and was curious of the peak and range. Since I'm not from Utah I can be a little geographically retarded with the remote areas. Nice Page, you put some work into it.
Posted Nov 21, 2003 2:47 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Nice page.
Posted Feb 24, 2004 7:44 pm

PellucidWombatUntitled Comment

PellucidWombat

thanks. That's quite a complement coming from you, considering the quality of you pages!
Posted Feb 25, 2004 8:19 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Thats high praise and I thank you for it... you're no slouch either when it comes to the quality of the material you submit. Thanks again... -Tim-
Posted Feb 26, 2004 4:21 pm

DigglerUntitled Comment

Diggler

Nice page. Maybe break up the Overview section into different paragraphs. The climbing store in Bishop = Wilson's E SIde sports.
Posted Mar 25, 2004 12:18 pm

PellucidWombatUntitled Comment

PellucidWombat

thanks for the input - will do
Posted Mar 26, 2004 2:51 am

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

Great page. I've been wanting to do this peak for awhile. Some day soon...
Posted Nov 30, 2004 1:51 pm

PocketsOfBlueAAJ article

PocketsOfBlue

I did some sleuthing for that 1987 AAJ article on the 'Swiss Route' and it's actually on page 178, not 128. There isn't much for information, though, besides some ominous hints at the atrocious rock quality. The route went at V 5.10+ A3 and appears to have gone unrepeated for a reason...
Posted Apr 14, 2008 2:00 pm

vanman798What is a cliff?

vanman798

PellucidWombat, I've been doing some research on Notch Peak and trying to figure out just how tall the actual cliff is, and if it is the tallest cliff in the USA or not.

Here is what I've learned...

It seems to me that the definition of "cliff" is what makes things confusing. Let’s say a cliff is defined as a high, steep face of rock. Is “steep” 90 degrees (vertical) or greater (overhanging), or is near vertical close enough? Research shows that a cliff need not be exactly vertical and so there is uncertainty about what slope or portion of a slope is a cliff.

With a vague definition I think to be safe we have to state how much of the cliff is vertical (or greater), as you have done on this nicely written page (thanks).

With that said, El Capitan at 7569 ft has a 3000 ft pure vertical drop. In comparison Notch peak at 9654 has a 2200 ft pure vertical drop, yet it is 4450 ft from valley floor to its summit. In comparison the Northwest Face of Half Dome at 8842 ft has a vertical drop of 2,000 ft and is 4,400 ft from valley floor to summit.

The largest purely vertical drop on the plant is the face of Mount Thor at 4,500 ft.

So, yes the west side of Notch Peak is an amazing cliff, and I think it is safe to say it is the second highest pure vertical drop in the USA. To give it a #1 spot we might say it is the highest limestone (or carbonate rock) cliff in North America.

Anyways, I thought that was worth sharing.
Posted Aug 6, 2012 7:42 pm