Old Baldy Comments

DeanAh Choteau

Funny how a name brings nostalgia. My mom grew up in the Fairfield -Choteau area and I've made several trips there to see family. Thanks to this nice page, the next time I go there I can head for the mountains, literally. Good work as usual Bob.
Posted Jul 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Ah Choteau

Bob Sihler

Thank you, Dean. I think you'd like these mountains-- beautiful scenery, good remote feel, not too many people on them.
Posted Jul 22, 2008 11:22 am

SaintgrizzlyGlad you were able to do this, Bob...

Saintgrizzly

...as when I did it a year ago, weather conditions prohibited enough photos to justify a page. When I get back from next week's sojourn to GNP (!), I'll go through what pictures came out of the trip, and see if there are some worth attaching to the page.
Posted Jul 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Glad you were able to do this, Bob...

Bob Sihler

Sounds good! I'd like to get back and try the approach from Our Lake next time. It's a great mountain, and I'd been itching to climb it for five years.
Posted Jul 22, 2008 11:23 am

SethP2343Next Trip

SethP2343

Old Baldy is next on my list for summits to climb too...i am trying to get all of the highest summits in the Sawtooth Range before the first snow...so far i have completed only Mount Wright and Rocky Mountain...i still want to get Steamboat in too...but Old Baldy and its Devils Horns looks amazing after the page you have posted....i will see ya in the climbers log with my completion =]
Posted Aug 9, 2008 3:17 am

Bob SihlerRe: Next Trip

Bob Sihler

Start early to get up there; it's about 7 miles up if you go by Route Creek Pass.

Another peak you may like in the unnamed Point 8789. I have a page for it attached to the Bob Marshall page. You hike to Our Lake, head for the pass west of the lake, and then scramble southeast to the summit. Up top, you get in-your-face views of Rocky Mountain and Old Baldy.

Good luck with your quest for the Sawtooth Peaks. I plan to be out there again next summer to explore some of the trailless drainages and unnamed peaks.
Posted Aug 9, 2008 1:52 pm