Viewing: 41-48 of 48 « PREV 1 2 3 NEXT »

magellanUntitled Comment

magellan

This is what every mountain page should be like. I realize not every peak has this many features, but this is an exceptional work.
Posted Jan 2, 2006 5:48 pm

Nikolas_AUntitled Comment

Nikolas_A

Thank you for your vote and the nice words!
Posted Jan 5, 2006 8:04 am

gjagielsUntitled Comment

gjagiels

Excellent page! Reminds me of the Mount Olympus in Salt Lake City, Utah... though not an excact replicate (looks more like this than other angles shown on the page).
Posted Jan 18, 2006 8:25 am

Nikolas_ARe: Untitled Comment

Nikolas_A

Thanks for the vote! Hmmm, I can't say they really look alike, but I guess they did to the man that named the Utah one after the original ;-)

Cheers,
Nikolas
Posted Feb 14, 2006 7:02 pm

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Exceptional work! Beautifull page!

There's a chance I'll be visiting Greece this spring (maybe May) and I was wondering if it is generally reccommended that a climber hire a guide to climb Olympos? I do have some climbing experience in the Pyrenees and Austrian/French Alps but by no means consider myself to be an expert.

Is it a "walk-up" mountain or is some scrambling necessary?
Posted Feb 8, 2006 11:36 am

Nikolas_ARe: Untitled Comment

Nikolas_A

Thanks! May is a nice season to be on Olympos, the skill level required depends on the snow conditions. I can't really tell that early. I just realised I haven't put the phone number of the Alpine clubs of the area on my page, will do that. You could call the Litochoro Club, they should be able to help you.

Hiring guides is not very common because of the relatively low altitudes but you could do it, or you could team up with other climbers. Remind me around April, I'll be able to give you up to date info and maybe tell you which clubs have scheduled climbs.

In the summer it's a walk-up, the last 100m to Mytikas are an easy scramble. The scramble to Stefani is a bit harder. When there's snow it really depends on the conditions. Usually though reaching the Mousses plateu isn't a problem even in the winder. It's the slopes under Stefani and the peak coloirs that can be avalanche prone in bad conditions.

Hope that helps,
Nikolas
Posted Feb 14, 2006 7:00 pm

thinredClimbing in November

Hi guys,
I'm in Greece in the beginning of November. Is it relatively easy, safe to climb Olympus? From the pictures, it seems rathe difficult... Has somebody done it?

Cheers,
Tomasz
Posted Sep 3, 2013 7:32 am

Nikolas_ARe: Climbing in November

Nikolas_A

It's possible to see snowfall that early, not much snow cover usually. Getting to the summit plateau and the higher huts isn't hard for an experienced trekker (weather permitting). For a summit push you need good conditions.
Posted Sep 4, 2013 2:14 pm