on the Chikamin Glacier

on the Chikamin Glacier

resting on the Chikamin Glacier (at about 7800') on the north side of Sinister (8460') and Dome (8940') Peaks... Photo Taken 8/10/2007
tacoturner
on Aug 29, 2007 1:10 am
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing,  Hiking,  Scenery,  Panorama
Image ID: 330223

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Sep 5, 2007 1:31 am - Voted 9/10

dark

It's a great pano, but can you lighten it some? One of the important points of mountain photography is that we wear those dark glasses because the snow is blindingly bright. The camera, in its ignorance, tried to mellow it down to a perfect gray, and we lost all the color in everything but the sky. In shots like this you have to sacrifice some of the texture in the snow (but not all), so we can see the pretty clothes your friends shelled out all that money for.

The opposite rule applies in sunsets and sunrises. Our eyes compensate for dim light, just as the camera's meter does. If you have color on the snow, force the camera to darken it a little and glory in the color.

Congratulations on getting to do the Traverse, and thanks for the pics. I don't mean to be too picky; this shot is beautiful, and I want to be able to see it more easily.

tacoturner

tacoturner - Sep 6, 2007 2:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: dark

ah, thanks?

I understand how automatic exposure settings work on cameras, thank you. I grew up shooting full manual (without any metering), even until early this year, when I upgraded to my first camera with automatic focus, ISO sensitivity, shutter speed, aperture, color balance, and flash metering. Unfortunately I was in a hurry to take the 10 frames that made up this pano, so I neglected to shoot with static shutter and aperture settings from shot to shot (I'm sad to admit that I just used the automatic landscape setting). When they were stitched by Arcsoft Panorama Maker, it automatically made the sunny side frames darker and the shade-ward frames lighter to achieve a total balance. Unfortunately it sucks at this, and, as you seem to have observed, the frames on the left end have more snow texture detail and the right end lacks this quality.

I don't really have time to photoshop these pictures and re-pano-rize them right now, but hopefully someday you will be satisfied when you come back to check on this photo. (Additionally, I don't wear dark glasses when shooting, but my camera does... lol.) At any rate, I appreciate the kind advice.

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Sep 13, 2007 1:05 pm - Voted 9/10

Re: dark

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on any toes. I've only fiddled with Panoramas a couple of times and haven't made one good enough to keep yet.

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Oct 13, 2010 1:28 am - Voted 9/10

Teachable moment.

Just passing through, and it struck me what a good example this is for beginning mountaineers. It's hard to drive home the idea that the rope must remain almost tight if it's going to be of any use, even when you're just sitting around suckin' down Gatorade.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4