Oturia Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

ojo - Aug 24, 2010 11:22 am Date Climbed: May 8, 2009

Second time lucky.  Sucess!

This time we approached from the other side (Oliván? I am not sure). It was close on 1000m of ascent but extremely easy terrain.

The worst bit was the final haul over grassy slope - my least-favourite type of walking terrain! There was some snow on the summit, a plague of "mariposas" - ladybirds - sheltering on the very distinct summit "post" (like a giant cairn). The views over the peaks to the north were stunning in the spring snow colours.

ojo - Aug 24, 2010 11:19 am Date Climbed: May 1, 2008

First time Unlucky.

From Yebra de Basa. We didn't make it to the top as a horrendous rain storm hit us as we reached the Hermitage/church. In two seconds we were drenched and the summit, just a few 100m of ascent away, was shrouded in mist.
The walk up - the way the pilgrimage goes, passing all the little shrines - is superb, though. We really enjoyed it. Wonderful cascades too.

We went back the following year and did it.

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Apr 8, 2009 9:44 am Date Climbed: Apr 5, 2009

From Yebra de Basa  Sucess!

We returned to Oturia but this time across the nice route of the hermitages from Yebra de Basa. We reached finally the summit in a nice day with some clouds in the big mountains. It's a beautiful route to all the people.

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Apr 8, 2009 9:41 am Date Climbed: Feb 14, 2009

From Oliván

We tried to climb Oturia from Oliván after big snowfalls but after 4h 30 min of walk on the snow we left it on the bottom of the ramp to pre-summit East because we didn't have more hours of sunlight to descent in the day if we walked with a half meter of snow to the summit. The snow was very soft even to walk with snowshoes. The sunny day was beautiful with great views.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Oturia' main page