Ascension B 17 Ascender

 

Ascension B 17 Ascender
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ascension B 17 Ascender
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By Josh
Page Type Dec 13, 2001 / Jan 16, 2007
Object ID 74
Hits 5626
Vote
Lightweight and versatile ascender for mountaineering, spelunking or any activity involving rope work; can also be used for self-belay or hauling gear. Anodized aluminum shell is lightweight, durable and corrosion resistant; a wide, flared rope slot allows smooth action while climbing. Chrome-plated, spring-loaded steel cam opens wide for easy rope insertion; knurled release lever offers easy, one-thumb operation. Ergonomically contoured polyethylene-coated grip provides a sure hold, even with heavy gloves; keeps hands from freezing and sticking in cold weather. Backup safety lug keeps rope from pulling cam through the top of the ascender in the event of a shock load. Includes upper and lower carabiner attachment holes; lower hole rated to 20kN; instructions included for use with other gear in hauling and self belay.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-9 of 9

miztflip - Jun 7, 2002 4:30 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Simple and easy to use. I use them for everything from mountaineering to big wall. Loading the rope is very easy whether bare handed or gloved. Accepts all rope sizes 7mm to 11mm. Lightweight and yet they are very tough. Never had any problem with icing.

bigwally - Jan 29, 2003 12:11 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Yes, simple and easy to use....accepts a variety of rope sizes....comfortable on your hands when jugging. A Fine ascender.....However,after a year of living and working on the Yosemite Rescue Site, my focus with ascenders is more in the ablility to back them up. This model has only one hole, at the bottom, for clipping both aider and daisy chain. It is also relatively difficult to run the Traditional back-up loop of webbing that connects the top clip-in hole with the lower clip-in hole (incase the lower handle metal breaks). One might also question the "locks in the open position" feature of these ascenders.....?When would I ever want them to lock open???...I want them snapping shut and staying that way !!!! There are other ascenders that offer these positive features. The CMI ascender is, incredibly strong, even frustratingly difficult to get off of the rope ( I like that) doesn't lock open and is easy to back up (super tape loop connecting upper and lower clip-in holes). The Petzl's aren't BAD, just look at some others before you buy, and keep in mind the features that you want!! They ALL look slick and shiny, but "all that glitters isn't....."

marcminish - Jun 30, 2003 8:40 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Lightweight and reliable. This is the best ascender I've seen for jugging a line. The handle is very useful for awkward stances or when cleaning a piece that's in a poor spot. More expensive than some, but WELL worth it.

DudeThatMustHurt - Jul 25, 2005 5:36 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Problems??? NOPE!, Very simplistic design and reliable function. No doubt will be on my rack for years to come, I've been using mine for over 3 years now (fairly close to retirement, but will certainly replace with the same models) and have had not a single problem clipping the rope in or useing them for bag hauling.



I like that they are color coded so i'm not fiddleing with them trying to figure which is which for what hand, this makes them just that must more pleasant to use IMO. I've used them with a 9.5mm 10.5mm & 11mm and have not had a tear in my sheath nor a slip-up. Very satisfied with my ascenders



IceRavines - Mar 18, 2007 3:26 am - Voted 4/5

Good tool !
I have owned a pair{right & left} for a while and they still perform excellently. I voted a 4 not due to a problem, but for the fact that BD has just came out with a stable version of a ascender that I want to use along with these. I used these mainly for ice-rope work as the teeth have held rope that were completly iced up!

tommi - Jul 16, 2007 7:55 am - Voted 5/5

Great tool
We use this ascender in professional way. Very strong, good to handle and without any problems. Things to make better? No idea.
Just a perfect tool.

stepho - Jun 29, 2008 5:26 pm - Voted 5/5

good grip
this tool provides excellent grip for jugging and tightening ropes. works very well on slippery ropes and is one of the more affordable ascenders.

fzte - Dec 20, 2009 3:26 am - Voted 5/5

Great Tool
Simple, lightweight, and easy to use. Size accommodates large gloves and mitts well.

asaking11 - Jun 25, 2011 10:26 pm - Hasn't voted

awesome tool
This ascenders are great. A must have. Easy to use, lightweight, and solid.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9