Barryvox

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Barryvox
Manufacturer Mammut
Page By John
Page Type Jun 11, 2002 / Jun 11, 2002
Object ID 367
Hits 6509
Vote
The MAMMUT Barryvox is a revolutionary Swiss development in the sector of locator devices for avalanche victims. This new generation of devices combines digital and analogue search technology for the very first time. While the analogue search mode allows a very wide search range, the digital mode with its direction and distance indicator greatly facilitates and speeds up medium and close-range searches for avalanche victims.

With its sensational weight of only 170 g (incl. batteries) the MAMMUT Barryvox is particularly compact and sturdy. Its operation is simple and easy to understand, with automatic self-test, a clearly marked ON/OFF switch and constant monitoring of the battery voltage. The software is designed in such a way that in a panic situation the person buried under an avalanche can be located quickly.

Features:

  • Functional and comfortable carrying system
  • Wrist loop
  • Automatic device self-test during switch-on and permanent battery monitoring during operation
  • ON/OFF switch locked into place to prevent unintentional switch-off
  • Identifier to immediately detect a device that is switched off
  • Analogue search by acoustic signal reproduction via integrated loudspeaker
  • Digital search by visual distance and direction indicator via LCD display
  • Automatic switchover from analogue to digital search (depending on distance)
  • Earpiece socket as a backup for the integrated loudspeaker for use in high ambient noise Levels
  • Automatic switchover from "Search" to "Transmit" for greater safety, i.e. to prevent incorrect operation or handling
  • No need for manual adjustment as you approach the victim.
Technical Data:
  • The Backcountry Store (Dec 2002): "Runs on 3 AAA batteries for a minimum 200 hrs. transmission time."
Accolades:
  • The Backcountry Store (Dec 2002): "Bottom Line: When time counts, the simplest most intuitive transceiver wins! Barryvox’s versatile and easy to use beacon featuring dual search mode, and lightweight design takes our prize hands down."
  • The Backcountry Store (Dec 2002): "It comes with THE most comfortable and best designed harness system we’ve ever seen."
Similar Products: Arva 9000, Backcountry Access Tracker DTS, Ortovox M2, Ortovox X1, Pieps Opti-4

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

labang - Mar 17, 2003 5:30 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
First off, I'm pretty much a newbie with this.



Pros: both digital and analog, great documentation, great instructions on the unit itself, small size, comfortable harness, good display, ease of use (it is extreemly easy to use, it basicaly tells you right where to go). Nice options.



Cons: shorter range than I expected (seems to me to be like 25-30 meters), screen shows moisture buildup

tiefenthaler - Sep 28, 2005 1:54 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Well, fortunately I haven't had to use it to find a real victim, but in comparison to my old Ortovox f2 the Barryvox is certainly a major improvement. This is especially true when it comes to the close-range localisation (to pick up a signal and get within a ca. 3-5 m range is relatively easy also with my old unit). What really convinced me regarding the Barryvox was the home-made "test" I performed with my then 10 and 11 year old daughter and son. I hid the old Ortovox in the snow, gave my kids a 3-minute instruction how to use the Barryvox, and told them to try and find the other unit. Well, within 5 minutes both were able to find the "victim". This is certainly not a controlled test under strict conditions, for my kids it was just a game. But, they both found the "victim" easily with minimal instruction. Basically, they just did, what the Barryvox told them to do. This certainly convinced me. In addition, the Barryvox is a bit smaller and lighter than my old Ortovox which is nice. Can't say much about durability since I've been using the Barryvox for only one season now but it doesn't look fragile to me.

travisgollaher - Oct 26, 2005 4:55 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
There are some great things about this little life saver. Not only is it easy to use but for what you get for the price is hard to beat. bolth digital and analog, is a must for today's backcountry sportsman. Avalanches are no joke. If you happen to have the misfourtune of ending up in one you will wish you had this little baby. Battries last forever in this thing so if you happen to go off some peak your friends have a few hundred hours to get your body out for your burial. There is no compairson for the price. Even tho it costs $300.00, it is worth the added chance for survival.

T Sharp - Jan 20, 2007 3:54 am - Hasn't voted

Good Product.
I have been pleased with the barryvox as well, simple operation, but customizable to fit my needs. It has cut several valuable seconds off my search times!
Cheers;
Tim

Nikman - May 10, 2007 12:43 pm - Voted 5/5

5 out of 5
I was lucky until now and never needed mine in an emergency case.

mtndonkey - Aug 26, 2007 9:19 pm - Voted 5/5

5 out of 5
I love my Baryvox, it is so light and comfortable I don't even realize I am wearing it. I've used it a few times just in training scenarios and it is much simpler than other units I tried. The harness system is great too and it can be quickly removed and attached to your wrist in a matter of seconds.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6