Bionic

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Bionic
Manufacturer Black Diamond
Page By John
Page Type Feb 14, 2002 / Feb 14, 2002
Object ID 129
Hits 6475
Vote
What REI.com calls, "A true fusion of all that is good in crampons, Bionic combines horizontal rails for front point precision and a semi-rigid design for sensitivity." The low-profile design matches your boot flex, giving you a keen feel for the terrain and "rock shoe-like" performance (so Black Diamond claims). Tapered vertical frontpoints provide precision and penetration—you can sight in on divots, slots, and bumps—and hit them with the first shot. Set the frontpoints as duals or monos and move them forward and backward to tune them to the terrain of the day. Plus, for added frontpoint stability, the Bionics have the same second-point configuration as the Sabretooths. Top this off with a fast-adjust clip and you’ve got a high-tech, paradigm-breaking crampon that you can take into the next dimension of ice climbing.
  • high-tech, semi-rigid crampon for vertical WI and mixed climbers
  • semi-rigid design matches boot flex and increases sensitivity, precision and provides a better feel of the terrain
  • serrated pull-points turn your feet into claws—pull, hook, scum and back step with ease
  • Horizontal rails ensure front point precision on ice and mixed routes, and can be set as either dual-point or mono-point
  • Additional adjustments allow the front-points to be moved forward or backward depending on what the terrain calls for
  • 4130 nickle-plated steel bails provide superior strength and durability

Reviews


Viewing: 1-8 of 8

Bryan W - Jun 7, 2003 3:19 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Don't even realize that I have these crampons on. They do a good job with all kinds of terrain. The ability to change the position of the front points also helps deal with any kind of terrrain.

tymelero - Jul 9, 2003 8:04 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have been alpine and ice climbing with my Black Diamond Sabertooth crampons for a couple of years now. Even though these are not specifically designed for ice they seemed to work fine. I purchased a pair of the Bionics for a trip to Canada’s Icefields parkway this January for strictly ice. I moved the points to a single point configuration and packed them. The difference in my climbing because of these crampons is quite amazing. The asymmetric design gave me the feel of placing my toe on holds like wearing my rock shoes. Granted I could not feel the ice but precise foot placement translates into smoother climbing and less fatigue.



The crampon’s single point drafted into my ice tool placements like a hand in a glove. Again this reduced the amount of kick and effort I need to place good feet. The points give a good secure placement with a less aggressive kick.



On a stiff pair of boots these crampons are the answer for ice. Look no further. Break out your wallet now and go to the store. They are that good.



I have noticed a recall on a certain lot of these crampons so check the website to ensure you do not have the recalled ones.

Pawel Krol - Jun 1, 2005 10:49 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Versatile, light, but cheap construction and components. Plasic to soft, metal to soft and points to soft also. Perfect for ... perfect conditions otherwise will use fast on heavy alpine terrain.

Does not come with metal ring (25$)

Does not come with antibottes (30$)



expensive.

IceMonkey - Jul 29, 2005 9:07 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I've used these boys for a couple of seasons. Dual point for alpine and mountaineering routes. But if your just doing vertical/ steep ice, stick them on mono point and thats where the perform at they're best. Graet multi use crampon

Dow Williams - Feb 17, 2007 11:31 pm - Voted 5/5

Bionics
Most technical crampons I have ever owned. I use them strictly on waterfall ice and climb over 20 routes a season. Durable and sticky. I would recommend lighter, less technical crampons for alpine travel. They definitely provide a bomber platform on waterfall ice allowing your calves to strain less. Placements always feel bomber, have yet to fail me. Quick and easy to get in to.

T_Moon - Mar 3, 2007 1:44 am - Voted 3/5

OK
I've used Bionics for a couple of seasons and wasn't as impressed as the other reviewers. I think the secondary points are too short to easily engage and the metal on the front points is softer than that found on other crampons (such as Grivel G14). This means they get dull pretty quickly. These crampons aren't terrible, but they aren't great, either.

cushman - Dec 7, 2007 3:06 pm - Voted 5/5

Good for WI
Used in Ouray and the Park for technical ice, they are great on the vertical. Don't expect to use these for bagging any peaks, the Contact or other crampons are better suited for that. I like the replaceable front points and the attachment mechanism is cool since you can fine-tune the fit for your boot.

WML - Apr 26, 2010 2:11 pm - Voted 5/5

Great WI 'pons, hit the weights before ya use 'em
These crampons were what I learned to climb WI on, climbed some AI (OK for that, better for WI) in them. If you can find them used, they are a bargain for a comparable product to the Cyborg.

The other reviews RE: the secondary points are spot on, not very easy to get the secondaries to engage on these, but it's all about the experience, right brahhhhhh? hahaa

Viewing: 1-8 of 8