Cumbre

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Cumbre
Manufacturer Scarpa
Page By Glencoe
Page Type Dec 17, 2002 / Dec 17, 2002
Object ID 601
Hits 19643
Vote
SCARPA say:

The new Cumbre is the most technical and innovative leather boot ever produced by SCARPA. This boot takes performance to a new level with its Articulated Ankle Flex Zone. This unique Flex Zone gives you maximum freedom of movement while providing valuable protection to both your heel and ankle. The Cumbre Trilogy Tech Sole combines three materials to create a supportive sole that offers rigidity and sensitivity at the same time. Even better, it keeps your foot warm while keeping weight at a minimum. SCARPA made sure to include important details like Thinsulate™ lining (for max warmth), a rubber rand, speed lacing system and a sole that’s compatible with every crampon out there. This year technical ice climbers, mixed climbers and technical mountaineers will be psyched on this boot’s comfort, warmth and performance.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

Glencoe - Dec 17, 2002 5:55 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I borrowed a pair of these awesome ice climbing boots and was very impressed.



The leather is soft and pliable (even out of the box - try them!) and I was able to instantly dial in a great fit. They feel light as running shoes but still offer support appropriately throughout.



The sole is very firm and provides an excellent platform. It is not as beefy as a general mountaineering boot either, this makes for better sensation through the platform of the boot and keeps the profile low.



They are very warm but the main thing is that they are flexible and very, very dextrous.

I love these boots, if I could afford a pair of dedicated boots for single day ice climbs I'd get a pair of these in a flash.

Erik Beeler - Nov 16, 2003 7:20 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have had these for over a year and have put over 100 trail miles on them and dozens of ice climbs. While the sole is rigid the boot is very flexible and allows for many miles fo hiking w/o being uncomfortable. The heel is very well padded and controled which is an issue with me as I usually get blisters there which I don't with this boot.

For ice climbing especially mixed and vertical ice they are great because of their flexibility at the ankle.

When the temp dips below zero I have had some cold toes but I still have them all.

I will be taking them up a few 14ers this winter so I will add more about how they hold up doing some mountaineering.

To use these boots on longer trips, at very high elevations and very cold temps you will need to take a few steps to keep them dry. They are silicone treated but you may want to add a water proof treatment such as Nix Wax for the exterior and wear vapor barriers so they don't absord moisture from the inside. Add a super gaiter and these will be very good for almost all conditions except extreme ones.

I would recommend these boots.

Update: Still like these boots. When the tepms have dropped below zero F. I was happy to have some insulated super gaiters along.

tommi - Jan 20, 2007 9:52 am - Voted 5/5

The best boots
I use this boots for ice climbing, winter mountaineering in the alps and used them on Island Peak.
The boots fit like no others, are warm and very comfortable.
They are not the best choice for longer hikes but also great for snowshoe trips.
Really the best mountaineering boots I ever had.

camerona91 - Feb 20, 2007 1:38 am - Voted 4/5

Good boot, overkill for lots of things
I use mine as a general mountaineering boot and sometimes for ice climbing and winter trips. They are quite warm. They are not the best fit for me (a bit wide). They are great for ice climbing. They fit Black Diamond sabretooth crampons really well. They are pretty heavy. The stock insole is horrible. The color fades to pinkish really fast. They are pretty flexible. They are generally pretty comfortable.

Nanuls - Jun 18, 2007 10:45 am - Voted 5/5

Scarpa Cumbre
A great general mountaineering boot I've also used them with my randonee ski bindings and they fit beautifully. The new GSb version are designed to exclusively fit Grivels new GSb crampons a system that is safer and easier to fit to your boots when wearing chunky gloves or mitts. When it comes to choosing boots I only Scarpa as I have pretty broad feet. Having said that they are very heavy.

anita - Dec 14, 2010 10:27 am - Voted 5/5

happy
with these boots, as I got them for $150.00US online. not too heavy, good ankle support for my weak ankles, but my only complaint is the warmth - I get so cold, even when I double up on socks. excellent for ice climbing.

mountainmanjohn - Jun 5, 2011 12:06 am - Voted 5/5

Quality
These are a fantastic boot....English winter routs or Alpine days. Ive done a few long routes and they have been very comfortable, and kept me warm and dry. A little heavy, but a totally great boot.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7