Demon Super Cup

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Demon Super Cup
Manufacturer Raveltik
Page By Martin Cash
Page Type Feb 5, 2003 / Feb 5, 2003
Object ID 658
Hits 7092
Vote
Manufactured by the Raveltik corporation in Czechoslovakia, the Demon Super Cup is a leashed climbing tool for the serious ice climber. The tool has many similar design features to the Charlet Moser Quark, including the shaft shape, pick design, and finger stop. Some enhancements to the Quark design include and upper finger stop, better swing feel, and a much lower price.
  • Durable, forged blade tapers towards the point, and it's beveled teeth secures purchase on the first blow to reduce shatter
  • Dropped-nose, point hooks on the tiniest edge; teeth along the blade improve stability regardless of the ice depth
  • Ergonomic shaft is designed for climbing with or without a wristloop to optimize the reach of the tool
  • Easy-to-adjust Saf'Lock(TM) wristloop gives firm support while hanging from the tool; locking slider is easy to manipulate with mittens on
  • Additional bar-tacked loop on the leash allows a carabiner to be attached without interfering with the wristloop
  • Dual-density handle is easy to grip; forward-facing spur offers protection from the ice
  • Short spike on the end of the shaft reduces the risk of snagging while striking with the tool
  • Hex wrench (included) removes pick and adze components; replacement components sold separately

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Martin Cash - Feb 17, 2003 8:42 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I'm very impressed with these tools. Despite their radical shape, they are pretty versatile. I've used them on alpine ice routes, waterfall ice climbing to WI3+, and tried them out on a few mixed routes to M5.

Alpine Ice: The shape of the but of the tool prevents you from self belaying, so you must free swing them as your protection for traversing and descending. I found this to not be a problem at all; I liked having two axes to swing during these situations. The curve in the tool allows you to set the but and pick down on the snow at angles of 45 to 60 degrees without bruising your knuckles. This is a good way to rest your grip, but keep climbing. I found that I needed to practice keeping my wrists rotated up on 45 to 55 degree ice to keep the downward shaped pick going in straight. The hammer pounds pickets nicely, and the adze chops good steps. The blades penetrate bullet ice well, if given a good swing and wrist snap. These tools are fairly light weight and nicely balanced, and my arms weren't tired after using them most of the day. My only complaint: I wish the blade angle was adjustable for low angle ice, like some of the BD tools.

Waterfall Ice Climbing: This is what these tools were designed for. The curve provides good clearance for placing the tool on top of a bulge. They swing very nicely. It took me 8 routes over 2 days for my arms to start getting a little sore. Machining and filing of the blades is very important on water ice. The tip comes cut down to a notch, but is not sharp. It is imperative that you file it down, before tackling some WI3 or higher. The teeth have the edges beveled down like they are supposed to be. The release point, just above the tip, has not been machined or sharpened. This helps to pull the tools out of the ice even if they aren't down near your waist.

Mixed: I bouldered around with some dry tooling and did one very pumpy M5 route, and I have to say I was happy with the performance. The points set very well in finger cracks. To do this one move, I had to bring both of my feet up to near where I set the two picks together in a finger crack, then reach back over my head and hook through a hole in the ice, then do a wild release and swing around move to get on the front of the ice. The dry tooling, hook, and swing moves all stuck perfectly.

These tools are an excellent value. I picked mine up for $139 each, way cheaper than the Quark, which they are modeled after.

The one thing that I found subpar were the leashes. They are nice and adjustable, but they needed some padding or a different material where your wrists rest on them. I find the Android leashes from BD to be more comfortable and I like their quick release better. The Demon leashes can be replaced, though.

I had a chance to climb in BD Rages, and I must say, despite the better leash in the Rage, the Demon is a vastly superior ice tool.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1