Denali Evo Ascent

 

Denali Evo Ascent
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Denali Evo Ascent
Manufacturer MSR
Page By Alpinist
Page Type Dec 3, 2003 / Jan 20, 2007
Object ID 895
Hits 8166
Vote
MSR Denali Evo snowshoes are high-tech tools for winter backcountry adventures. They represent the evolution of MSR’s proven Denali design and construction method which revolutionized the snowshoe industry in 1995. The Evo Ascent is the premier snowshoe offering in MSR’s snowshoe collection, featuring the same great traction and modular design as the Denali Classic and Ascent snowshoes with a redesigned deck, binding and crampon to improve backcountry performance and usability.



  • Unparalleled Traction

    Steel crampons, traction blades with integrated saber teeth and molded braking bars in deck provide unmatched traction.

  • Reliable- Proven materials

    Construction methods and improved design result in an extremely durable snowshoe.

  • Versatile

    6" Evo flotation tails allow you to fine tune your shoes to the snow conditions and pack weight. (sold separately)

  • Acommodates Large Boots

    Enlarged boot hole allows use of snowboard and/or ski boots.

  • Easy to Use

    New, Evo stand-up binding allows easy entry and exit from the snowshoe.

  • Climb Easier

    Televator™ Heel Lifter reduces calf fatigue to make climbing easier and more efficient.

  • Walk with a More Natural Gait

    Evo deck with tapered tip and tail makes walking in the shoes easier and more natural.

  • Secure Fit

    Crampon extension plate eliminates heel drift and four-strap binding provides a great fit and a secure attachment to the snowshoe.

Pricing

Retail price: $199.95 (US)

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-11 of 11

Alpinist - Dec 3, 2003 10:19 pm - Voted 5/5

Awesome snowshoes!
I've climbed a number of peaks with the Denali Evo Ascent snowshoes since I bought them in 2003, and I'm extremely happy with them. It's a great design. The crampons and traction blades provide excellent traction uphill, downhill and traversing. It is very comfortable to hike in them. They are not at all awkward or clumsy. The straps are easy to work wearing gloves, and there are clips which hold the excess in place.

Flotation is very good. I have not had to use the 6" tails yet, but they attach easily enough. The heel lifters are also easy to use and are well designed. They are easy to engage/disengage and really take the strain off of the calf muscles while climbing uphill.

The only downside is that the plastic is a bit noisy when I crossed some rocky areas. However, I think It's a small price to pay for the quality that you get.

Bottom line - these are awesome snowshoes and they have performed flawlessly.

Update: A couple of the plastic clips that hold the excess straps in place have broken off. You should consider getting a couple of spares and bringing them with you on your trips. MSR sent me several spare clips at no charge.

DudeThatMustHurt - Jul 12, 2004 5:46 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
the traction can is second only to crampons.

totally snug fit to my boots (boreal super latok)

comfortable to walk with, very close to natural stride.

sidehill traction is awsome, and floatation fits the bill



highly recomended to anyone who enjoys peak bagging

Keyser Soze - Sep 16, 2004 12:06 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Those snowshoes are excellent, especially on hard snow and on traverses. Great traction. Even when the slope is too steep for other snowshoes (e.g. TSL), you'll still climb and descend safely. The way the binding is attached seems to be somewhat more solid than the one used on the older Denali/Denali ascent models, so it's less likely to break.

BCL - Nov 8, 2004 11:23 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Thes are my first pair of snowshoes. The bindings make them easy to put on and take off. What I really like is how durable they are. I climb rocks, trees, get them hung up and fall, and there is only a few scratches on them. The plastic design is really strong.

I bought this model for the heal lifter and traction. The 'crampons' on the bottom of this thing are great and make those patches of icy snow no problem. For the heal lifter, I thought I did not need it until I used it the first time. I was amazed! It makes a big difference in climbing uphill. Be sure you put them back down for flat or any sort of downhill as it tends to make you want to face plant on this kind of terrain. I found it was easy to put down by using my axe as a lever.

I wish I had not bought the 'tails.' They turn this great pair of snowshoes into bulky and unmanueverable. I felt like they really didn't aid with flotation because there is little pressure that far back on the shoe. I even had one fall off at one point. The knob was tight when I picked it up so I have no idea how it came off. I haven't carried them in my pack since my first outing with them.

I would definitly buy these again!

akullar - May 6, 2005 5:11 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I agree with the other reviewers. These are great snowshoes. They are very sturdy and the traction is very good on all types of snow.



The binding system works well, it allows for a tight fit and does not loosen significantly as you climb. I did however have a few eyeholes on the straps break, this can be successfully addressed in the field, but it might be nice to have an extra strap or two for very long trips.



I also recommend taking advantage of the heel elevator on these snowshoes, I found it to be very helpful, both in helping with traction and fatigue on steep uphill climbs.



I am very happy with this product.

awagher - Jan 13, 2006 1:04 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
These are the only snow shoes I have used. They don't seem to be to heavy and they are very durable. The are easy to climb in and have great traction. I do however recommend the tail option as they do sink under weight in soft deep snow. The binding and fit work well with plastic boots and leather boots alike. I have never had a problem with them breaking.

Woodie Hopper - Jan 27, 2007 11:29 pm - Voted 4/5

MSR Denali Ascent
I find these are good for steep, consolidated snow. They tend to sink in softer snow.

Dennis Poulin - Feb 21, 2007 5:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Denali EVO
I've used mine on Shasta, Denali, and others. They work great. I also have the 6" extenders for the back since I am a big guy and they work just great. I did order a spare strap to throw into my pack, but haven't used it.

Mike Zastoupil - Dec 27, 2007 8:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Denali Ascent
This is my second pair of snowshoes. I find they work great on packed powder and really have great traction

Deltaoperator17 - Apr 11, 2009 2:50 pm - Hasn't voted

DA Bomb
Oh my, after using Altlas and others, this is the best treat to have climbing the peaks. The traction is unbeliveable and the televator is awesome!

I have waited to get these for about a year, well worht the wait and are heads and shoulder above the rest.

Dan the Jones - Oct 15, 2009 3:14 pm - Voted 5/5

Awesome -
Great shoes- great grip- good for everything- if considering snow shoes get these.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11