Epic Parka

 

Epic Parka
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Epic Parka
Manufacturer Mountain Hardwear
Page By Matt K
Page Type Dec 4, 2003 / Nov 26, 2008
Object ID 896
Hits 4281
Vote
Conduit Silk is a highly effective waterproof/breathable coating that is silky to the touch. The garments in this category are incredibly light and compressible. A backcountry travelers dream come true.



Features:

*Attached, roll-away, Ergo hood

*Welded chest pocket with water-resistant zip

*One handed hood, waist and hem drawcords

*Simplex pit zips

*Laminated cuff tabs with Velcro® closure

*Waterproof and breathable stretch panels

*Venting, mesh, front pockets

*Simplex front zip

*Interior zip pocket

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Matt K - Dec 4, 2003 8:23 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Update: This jacket began delaminating during the winter of 06/07. MH doesn't make it anymore, but they gave me credit towards a newer model. I ended up getting my wife a down jacket with the credit and bought myself a Patagonia shell. I still think this was a great jacket, it worked very well for around 5 years.

Mountain hardwear makes quality gear and this product is no exception. It is available in either a parka (longer) or jacket (shorter).

My favorite thing about it is the no frill approach and the awesome hood. This hood fits great even with a helmet. This jacket is extremely light weight and zips into its own pocket for small storage. The cuffs are velcro and could be a potential weak point as they may tear off.

This jacket has very long sleeves which is great for taller people like myself. This jacket is no where near as durable as a 2- or 3-ply goretex jacket, but that doesn't matter to me. This jacket will last for years and when it needs replacing, I can just buy another one for 1/2 what cheaper gore-tex jackets cost.

I actually have the parka version, which is longer than the jacket. I find that it covers my rear end well. The only pockets are vertical chest pockets. As the description mentions it also has pit zips.

This product is not meant for full blown winter assaults, but would be excellent for anything short. I originally purchased it for backpacking, hiking and mountain biking but I plan to use it for ice climbing this winter as well.

vertx - Dec 10, 2004 10:44 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
If you want a rain shell/wind breaker that you can stuff in the bottom of your pack and forget about it until you need it, this is the jacket for you. Very light weight yet well constructed. This is not your 2 or 3 ply heavy duty gortex jacket that will last forever, but it is the one you want if you are going light and need protection from the rain or wind. Used in a layer system, you will be glad its in the pack.



The jacket has a chest pocket for those GPS or radios pit zips help regulate the heat, and a full size hood to fit over that helmet. I purched mine for way less than retail at $90.00. Highly recommended for the right application.

mrauthentic616rm2 - May 1, 2008 6:15 pm - Voted 5/5

Awesome
Bought one before a 21 day trip in New Mexico. Withstood the monsoons. Fits great and is tapered to the body. However I find it repels water better if you wear a long sleeve synthetic underneath.

Rick Huff - Sep 9, 2008 8:10 pm - Hasn't voted

One time favorite
I loved mine. I wore it on numerous climbing trips in the Cascades, Rockies, and Alps. It performed great except it was a little short and let my love handles peek out a few times. It finally delaminated at the neck and was honorably retired. It kept me dry at a pretty light weight for many years. I give it 5/5

mhimber - Oct 14, 2008 3:48 am - Voted 5/5

Women's Epic=winner
I got this to replace my Marmot Phoenix jacket which I left in a hotel. I was sad to have lost my Marmot, but stopped mourning it when i realized the Epic has a more adjustable and athletic fit. I've only been on a few extended outings with this jacket, but so far its done everything you'd want a lightweight rain jacket to do. Super light and dry, with a great range of motion and incredibly comfortable fit. I think I have one of the newer models of this jacket, and find the length to be more than adequate. The Women's Epic is shaped and sized significantly different than the mens (see above pics for contrast) and is by far the best fitting female-specific piece of techwear I own. Also, the Women's Epic has a side zip pocket on the sleeve (good idea)as opposed to the chest (not the most comfortable location for women to store their--well anything really). Works great with a variety of layers.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5